Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: New multiple visa ?? Really ??

New multiple visa ?? Really ??

Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa

The legislature is currently reviewing a proposal from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to allow all foreign visitors the ability to apply for a “Multiple Visa” which would allow visitors to stay for six months for 2,000 baht or one year for 3,000 baht. The details of the visa have yet to be revealed but the Ministry is hoping that the legislature will approve the proposal by Chinese New Year next month. The Association of Thai Travel Agents believes that while the project would definitely help facilitate tourists’ stay, they are unsure if it would actually bring more visitors to Thailand.
    Lets just say I am not holding my breath on that one..

Awesome if they do - they have to try something I guess to get tourism numbers up.

Problem is the wording is very vague. A visa only gets you into the country, it's the permitted length of stay I'd be interested in hearing about. If it goes by the 6/12 months mentioned it would involve extensions of stay, and immigration will want a slice of the pie so I bet you have to extend often, at their typical price.

I think this is related to the proposed 6 month multiple inter-region airpass.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

IMO with tourists retreating like flanders I don’t think they have any choice but to start easing up on regulations with visas etc when the effects show fully with the economy!

When they say they tourism is 9% of GDP I personally believe that is a gross underestimation when taking all other factors into account of what expats and tourists inject into the economy in one form or another!

It's certainly not 9 % of the economy in the places tourists go.. It's such a cornerstone of Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, hua him etc.. That to remove it, leads to a cycle of contraction as it is the engine of those economies..,

Yet you can around huge swathes of the country, many parts of Isaan or even some southern towns off the trail.. And not see much tourism at all.. Plus measuring economics by eye isn't easy.. That huge car plant you barely notice as you drive past makes far less of an impression than a few 100 people walking past neon, but it's gdp contribution is high.
    soupdragon likes this.

I read somewhere recently that tourism and farming each contributed around 9% of GDP.
    The farming figure is surprisingly low c/f the "majority" of people in that sector in Isaan.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Hopefully they will start to ease up a bit more on visas etc in general soon as things dont appear to be going well.....

Thai Economy Loses $12 billion in 2014 ? what's Ahead for 2015?

Thailand’s 2014 GDP was unlikely to hit even the deeply discounted 1.5 -2.0 per cent that it and the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) had been vigorously proclaiming publicly up until the middle of November.
    Instead, it said, Thailand’s 2014 GDP was likely to be just 0.8 per cent, a massive 84.31 per cent drop in the 5.1 per cent 2014 Thailand GDP growth that was predicted late in 2013 and 80 per cent below that forecast in December 2013

The fall in foreign visitors to Thailand in 2014 has stripped about 0.66% off the expected Thailand 2014 GDP

Thailand Tourism Plummets 6.6%… or Maybe 7.56%

A major victim of the anti-government rallies and coup in 2014 was Thailand’s equally prized tourism sector.

According to tourism and sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavarangkul “24.7 million tourists visited Thailand in 2014 which is a 6.6 per cent decrease compared with 2013. They generated Bt 1.13 trillion (US$ 34,4 billion) in revenue, 5.8 per cent less” than in 2013 she added.

However, based on the Bt 1.13 trillion (US$ 34,4 billion) claimed last year as having been injected into the Thai economy by 26.7 million foreign tourists in 2013 (See: Thailand Economy Heading For Recession) the actual figures would appear to be a 7.56 per cent fall in 2014 Thailand foreign tourist arrivals and a 3.17 fall in revenue.

To add more confusion to the figures, Ms Wattanavarangkul said that the government’s goal of increasing the number of high-spending tourists in 2014 had failed and that there was no increase in the average expenditure of foreign visitors in 2014 versus that in 2013.

If this is the case the total revenue from 24.7 million foreign visitors in 2014 would be Bt 1.045 trillion (US$ 31.825 billion) representing a 10.45 per cent or Bt 85 billion (US$ 2.588 billion) drop in tourist revenue compared to 2013.
    This equates to 0.66 per cent of Thailand’s expected 2014 GDP based on a 0.80 per cent Thailand 2014 GDP increase over 2013.

While the total number of foreign visitor arrivals to Thailand forecast for 2014 was revised downwards numerous times last year from the original estimate of 30 million in late 2013 to 25.5 million in October 2014, the forecast expenditure per tourist increased from Bt 42,322 (US$ 1,288) to Bt 70 588 (US$ 2,149) for a total of Bt 1.8 trillion (US$ 54,8 billion).
    Last edited by davis121; 15th January 2015 at 22:20.