Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By soupdragon
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Gender rights may soon allow legal sex change.

Gender rights may soon allow legal sex change.

Posting mainly because I am a small petty person and Dodger insisted for days on end, based on some joke he overheard in the amphur, that it was already possible to change sex on government documents..

Thailand's new constitution could soon recognize third gender - CNN.com

Thailand could soon recognize a third gender category for the first time in the country's constitution.

"It is a human right if you were born a male or female and you want to have a sex change or lead a life of a different gender," said Kamnoon Sittisamarn, the spokesperson of Constitution Drafting Committee, which is working on a new draft of the country's constitution.

"People should have [that] freedom to change sex and they should be equally protected by the Constitution and the law and treated fairly."

Third gender means that an individual does not have to identify as either male or female, and gives their right to self-identify.
    Looks like soon they may be able to..

Another problem is that the gender marked on government documents doesn't match how individuals identify their gender.

When Khangpiboon travels, she gets pulled out of immigration lines for questioning by officials because of the gender marked on her passport.

"For trans people, we cannot change our title name. I'm still a 'mister' in my country. I cannot change my title. My name is Mr. Kath," said Khangpiboon, a transgender woman.

This is the second or third time this has been proposed, on previous occasions the idea never got over the first hurdle.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Hell, under the climate that obama has created here in the States, you not only can change your name...the government will likely pay for your surgical gender reassignment.

That is "especially" so, if you in the military or in prison!

I'm not kidding, either!

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    This is the second or third time this has been proposed, on previous occasions the idea never got over the first hurdle.
    However this seems like its working into the proposed constitution.. And good PR at the moment..
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    However this seems like its working into the proposed constitution.. And good PR at the moment..
    Yes it was proposed to put it in the last draft of the constitution for sure and IIRC it was put forward for the one before that. On both occasions, again IIRC, it didn't get passed the idea stage and never made it into any draft.

Also from reading this in a few sources.. The way it reads (and that could be half assed translations) is they still cant change from man to woman or vice versa.. It reads like they can change from man or woman to '3rd gender'.. Which I suppose is progress but isnt really what they are asking for.