Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New (worse) alcohol sales laws..

New (worse) alcohol sales laws..

Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today - Thai PBS English News

Restricted alcoholic beverages sale times will take effect today throughout the country.

Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

An announcement was made today by the Prime Minister’s Office on the 2015 law regulating alcohol sales which takes effect today.

At all other times, alcohol sales are strictly forbidden with the exception of at international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

Director-general of the office of the Alcohol Control Committee Mr Samarn Futrakun stated the core substance of the new regulation remains the same in that the permissible duration for daily alcohol sales to be capped at 10 hours.

Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.

Violation of the law is subject six months imprisonment and/or a 10,000 Baht fine.

This dovetails in with police coming round chiang mai bars telling baffled bar owners that the 2 - 5pm alcohol sales restrictions applies to bars also not just retailers..

The article is confusing.. As it doesnt explicitly state the restaurant rights.. And this bit seems confused..

as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day
    9pm to midnight is 3 hours.. So is it 7 till midnight now ?? Or is it now 3 hours ?? Makes no sense..

Of course laws and reality.. But either way it doesnt look like easier business conditions.

Local Tops in Chanthaburi had notice up about no longer being able to sell 10+ liters at other times , so seems to be adhered to here.

Now that it appears the Mormons are in charge, can you at least have more than one wife?
    Wtf? As I have said before, get ready for red light crackdown. It's coming.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

But doesn't it say "legally' registered entertainment venues can operate daily.... not seeing a problem unless you don't have an entertainment licence. The cap to sell alcohol is max 10 hrs. So just get your entertainment licence to cover the operating times and you would be legally registered to sell alcohol for the period that you are open would be my understanding.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 24th January 2015 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    But doesn't it say "legally' registered entertainment venues can operate daily.... not seeing a problem unless you don't have an entertainment licence. The cap to sell alcohol is max 10 hrs. So just get your entertainment licence to cover the operating times and you would be legally registered to sell alcohol for the period that you are open would be my understanding.
    "This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants."

I agree its badly worded leaving many questions.. It clearly states the closing times of midnight tho but laws so often ignored..

Are 7-11 affected?

Already rescinded here in Phuket (mostly).
    Left hand - Right hand.
    They really need new translators.

No change in alcohol vending hours, despite new order from PM Prayut
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Already rescinded here in Phuket (mostly).
    Left hand - Right hand.
    They really need new translators.

No change in alcohol vending hours, despite new order from PM Prayut
    Funny how they dance around the issue that this makes it clear that bars must stop selling at midnight..

Or any mention that bulk sales which could happen between 2 and 5 also have now been made illegal..

I'm scratching my head, trying to figure out what they are trying to accomplish with these controls?

I'm familiar with "blue laws" in America...mostly in the bible belt, where they flat out deny the sale of alcohol, period. Though I think they're nuts, at least I can see where they are coming from. (religious zealots)

I'm sure there's some simple answer for the "Thai" behavior on this matter.

Someone quip in please.

I doubt anything will change.. It's just more odd laws.. Which will generate police payments..

It IS kinda funny how the Phuket details it changes anything, flat out ignores the 12 pm restriction though.. More mental gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I doubt anything will change.. It's just more odd laws.. Which will generate police payments..
    My thoughts exactly.
    LivinLOS likes this.

7-11 in Patts have signs up showing new sales hours for alcohol. Ruskies will be scratching their heads.

Funny as 7-11 has been doing those hours all along ??

The tills wont even process alcohol sales.. Some will take your money and process it later at 5:01..
    Evilbaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Funny as 7-11 has been doing those hours all along ??

The tills wont even process alcohol sales.. Some will take your money and process it later at 5:01..
    Agree that main retailers abide by the hours stated and has always been the case but...............

The 7 eleven round the corner from me sells illegally during those hours........and they do put it through the till and it's the right description on the receipt.......so fick knows how they are getting away with it

It's the only 7 eleven or family mart that I've experienced that they are willing to do this

I found family marts more ok with it than 7-11s.. I also have my local one ok with paying for them to run it through after..

I had a rough day a month or so back.. and was just heading home and craving a cold beer.. It was 4:30 but had lost track of time.. The refusal was harsh, totally pysched myself up for mmmm Ice cold beer etc...

PTG
    It depends on the franchise owner whether they do or do not sell during off hours. I've got two family marts and a 7 close by, one family mart always sells, another sometimes depending on staff, while the 7 doesn't. Stupid law no matter how you slice it.

No different to Ireland in the 60s when you couldn't get a drink for love or money in the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    No different to Ireland in the 60s when you couldn't get a drink for love or money in the afternoon
    So that's where they get it from. The Irish is well known for their soberness, so it must have been working.
    LivinLOS and SLeesy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    So that's where they get it from. The Irish is well known for their soberness, so it must have been working.
    It got them back to work after lunch ...
    davis121 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast