Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Robaht trip to Phuket Jan'15 part 1 of ?

Robaht trip to Phuket Jan'15 part 1 of ?

Just thought to add a few reflections about my trip to Phuket last week (10 days actually).

- I stayed at Leelawadee Boutique, very consistent 3-star hotel and though I'd asked about a fitness center somewhere (none at Leelawadee) and was recommended a place on Soi Sansabai, turns out at the C&N resort next door they have a cool little gym/massage 185-ish per day and various packages to make the day rate cheaper. Unfortunately only found in on my next to last day.

- they have stoplights everywhere in Patong now! some work, some don't. The one just down from Leelawadee is the intersection of Naria/Rathutit/Middle road. When the stoplights are functioning the traffic is all sorts of backed up from each direction, when they flashed yellow on a few occasions traffic flowed pretty well. I'd say it is a "lose" in terms of stoplight timing, if they made it quicker it might work, one side has to wait 170 seconds.

- Sandwiche Shoppe, one of my favorite stops for breakfast, food slightly downhill, rough strong coffee, nice staff, internet way below its average - could never get a good connection on phone nor computer - very disappointing in that regard.

- Beach - spent all my times at Kata Noi, umbrellas 200 baht for purchase, I think same for straw mats. You can rent umbrellas for 100 baht (the sign for that is hidden sometimes). The beaches, much less the world class they are aiming for, have a trailer park look with random, multi-colored umbrellas, no extra effort to clean trash, jet ski's, para-sail-chutes, etc. The chairs you can buy are like the old aluminum launch chairs from the 70's, fold up well, maybe not bad, but who can carry that on motorbikes (and of course you can't store them or they will be seized - the ones that carry them are motorbike riders with little experience). A few "bold" operators have umbrellas and the cushions that used to be on the chairs laid out to be rented. I guess Kata Noi a bit more relaxed. Kata Noi street has improved with a Family Mart, and a few restaurants close to the beach, and toilets at them, so it is no longer the hidden gem, but still not bad. The water was great, very, very calm and refreshing.

- When I arrived about Jan 20th, Bangla was HOPPING! Whoa! busiest I've ever seen it, but a steady decline to normal over the 10 days. The soi Sea Dragon bar right in front has a great view and 80 baht beers and FA cup games (hard to find FA cup games on TV, normal EPL okay). Crazy bar staff, they seem to take free shots every 15 minutes, end of night is funny.

- The gogos were good, Devil's Playground the best, rocking late til about 3am, Suzy 1 a bit boring but busy, and the "Suzy aka Jeffrey" group now has a pass so you collect 10 drinks at any of his 6 bars and get one free. Well, I got 2 free - beers are 180 and LD 200, LD's don't count toward the 10.

-Under old Tiger and under new Tiger - both kinda the same in the sense the bars in front are full but start moving back and empty bars etc.

-Soi Freedom and old MTB Little Devils was somewhat busy, always a warm welcome. The soi toilets are fading into crapola but still 10 baht..

-if you haven't driven down Middle Road for a while, you will be shocked at the build-up. I was floored, I think it was 6 months since I was here, the road is totally built up.

- Don's BBQ on Nanai near the talat/Makro, on a moto-drive-by, looked to have 30+ people lined up on the buffet line, must be roaring biz....

- a few bars remain good on Bangla beach end, Sunset Bar, U2 Bar, Kangaroo (?) anyway, opposite the Aussie Bar, good place to sit and watch (as also first bar on soi Sea Dragon as I mentioned)

- Weather was awesome. If you ever go to Kata Noi, up on the hill the After Beach bar is always good, a bit of reggae and inattentive service, but nice to relax. 100 baht beers, decent food

- Great places to park motorbike near Bangla, under Kee Hotel, and under the new Food Court (opposite old Tiger bars, but entry on Ratuthit just opposite Jungceylon). Avoids soi Sansabai hassles.

-they have this funny carnival game where you are supposed to hang from a bar for 2 minutes (the bar is pvc pipe, not locked into position=spins) and this is about opposite Ocean on Bangla (not called Ocean anymore, it is a bit bar/show place called Illusion iirc, and not bad if with a group, can buy bottles to stay in VIP section iirc Absolute 3,500), but about the hanging bar: So if you can dead hang 2 minutes you get a bottle of whiskey, or 3 minutes 2 bottles of whiskey. Costs 100 to play. Never saw anyone beat 50 seconds, most about 30 max. So start practicing if you think you can do it, lol!

Anyway, just some thoughts, more later if I think of some.

Taxi Meter from airport was 800+40 tip, taxi from hotel to airport 750 + 40 baht tip.
    NeedHoliday, sidvicious and Dkdude like this.

200 baht lady drink is painful. How much are they in the beer bars?

Taxi's seem to have gone up quite a bit, I think it was 500 baht taxi meter when I went in late 2010. 200 baht for LD's is BKK prices.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I'm not sure I saw any less than 180 even in the less flashy bars.

LDs in the Tiger bars are I think minimum 200B now with some at the front charging even more. 180B sounds about right for like Soi Freedom/Eric.

^^^^
    No it's not "right" IMHO.
    On the value for money scale having a nubile nekkid LBFM on your lap trying to get you excited in Devil's Playground is worth 180 baht per LD.
    The aging slapper, fully clothed who wont let you have a glimpse of her nipples, at the bar immediately outside DP's door is not worth 200 per LD.
    IMHO, of course.
    Dkdude likes this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Wasn't saying the price was right either, and I agree in comparison to GoGos the LDs in bars are a rip off for what you "get" out of it. I'd much rather spend a night in Suzy Wongs with a naked girl than get continuously nagged by every girl I know and her friends/sisters joining in! That said I do still like going to the bars to see people I know and have a laugh, but I do get better entertainment in the GoGos for less baht!
    Evilbaz likes this.

A small anecdote.
    Jeffery (who used to be my next door neighbour) always summons a girl to get him a hand towel when he sees me in DP - so i can wipe my hand before handshakes 5555!
    Dkdude and NeedHoliday like this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    220 standard (in beer bars) and 230-240 for models and coyotes (in go-gos), 200 for standard dancers (in go-gos)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    LDs in the Tiger bars are I think minimum 200B now with some at the front charging even more. 180B sounds about right for like Soi Freedom/Eric.
    I think Kangaroo Bar still does their LDs at 150 but not 100% sure... 180 sounds right for Freedom... but that might have changed with some of the bar owners from New Tiger jumping ship to Freedom because of the rent hikes in New Tiger.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 8th February 2015 at 06:57.

This thread definitely makes me feel like a cheap charlie. If it's a naked, giggling gal on your lap and you're having your fun... then yeah, those ladydrink prices seem appropriate. But paying the same in Tiger? No thanks. And in all the smaller sois beer bars... serious rip off prices, imo.

That said, if it's worth it to someone else, so be it. Their choice...
    Evilbaz and Dkdude like this.

Bit of the thread topic, but on the current topic.

Would it make sense for a bar owner to drop the ld's to a 'reasonable' price and therefore encourage more punters to come to the bar, (of course with the right staff) or does that then become another matter, where the right staff wouldn't work in that bar, due to lack of $$$

Seems like the 80/20 rule, get more in to the bar and get more $$$, or would that then bring in the cheap charlie only.

Just wondering???

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post

Would it make sense for a bar owner to drop the ld's to a 'reasonable' price and therefore encourage more punters to come to the bar, (of course with the right staff) or does that then become another matter, where the right staff wouldn't work in that bar, due to lack of $$$

Seems like the 80/20 rule, get more in to the bar and get more $$$, or would that then bring in the cheap charlie only.

Just wondering???
    Astronomical rent expectations also involved.. I remember when a mid soi bar was under a mil.. By the time I left I remember it being 1 - 1.5 mil.. I recently heard of one for over 3 mil..

Thats 3 year lease.. Before all other costs.. The only people getting rich are the ground owners.

^It's an interesting thought. I've heard from a farang bar owner once that when he lowered his prices on both drinks and LD's, he got visits from every Thai bar owner on the soi, complaining. The prices are a collusion, so for someone to break that takes a bit of courage... and you damn sure gotta be certain you have the right BiB/Military friends, because that will be the first method the other owners would use to get you back in line... you'd be the next place getting raided for some ridiculous contrivance.

So I think it would be a worthwhile idea to try... but it would mean trouble with the neighbors for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post

Just wondering???
    Comes down to supply and demand.... too many bars and not enough (good) looking girls to work them.... so salaries/bar fines and LD commissions have to go up in order to get the girls to come to work at the bar... so it ends up getting tiered into PRs, (your standard girl off the street/farm), Coyotes (that can dance and are usually fit) and Models (that can dance and have a special skill set, be it physical enhancements, good english, know how to work customers).

I suppose it is a bit of collusion with the prices.... started with the front bars in New Tiger and it spread everywhere else because every girl moved to New Tiger to get the bump in salary and ld commission.... so in order to retain girls everywhere else had to follow suit and in order for it to not affect the bars bottom line drink prices and bar fines had to go up too.

I think the typical Thai mentality plays into it as well. I've often said that a Thai would rather have 100 baht in their hand than get 10 baht a day for the rest of their life. So if a place dropped to cheaper prices on everything to try to draw more customers, you might have a hard time convincing the gals that it was a good idea. It's all about the now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    I suppose it is a bit of collusion with the prices.... started with the front bars in New Tiger and it spread everywhere else because every girl moved to New Tiger to get the bump in salary and ld commission.... so in order to retain girls everywhere else had to follow suit and in order for it to not affect the bars bottom line drink prices and bar fines had to go up too.
    Cost push or demand destruction.. The balancing forces..

That collusion can only maintain dependant on the numbers of customers willing to pay it.. And lots of lookie lous wandering up and down Bangla doesnt cut it.. 200 probably isnt jumping the shark just yet, but its very close to it.. Especially when soi 6 bars run 2 for 1, or 2 get 1, 100b shots, even free food laid on.. To be fair those drink prices are not that different to walking street, but the spread of options seems different.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

That collusion can only maintain dependant on the numbers of customers willing to pay it.. And lots of lookie lous wandering up and down Bangla doesnt cut it.. 200 probably isnt jumping the shark just yet, but its very close to it.. Especially when soi 6 bars run 2 for 1, or 2 get 1, 100b shots, even free food laid on.. To be fair those drink prices are not that different to walking street, but the spread of options seems different.
    Its tricky because the ones setting the prices are the "corporate" bars backed with big money... so they can afford to absorb losses because their other business ventures can support the downturn. A "mom & pop" outfit can easily get wiped out or be forced to sell out if in a good location. So it turns into almost a monopoly on Bangla with rival empires and conglomerates dividing the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Only 2 places in Patts I can think of charging near or over 200 baht for LD's; Whats Up and Iron Club.........What's Up try to justify it through putting on professional shows and having probably some of the hottest p4p girls in Thailand. Most plces are somewhere between 140-180 for LD's in Ago go's and bars a fair bit less usually around 140 baht. Bar fines in the top ago gos are a totally different matter with ridiculous prices being quotes and tiered depending on the girls status and the time of night

BKK again less other than the 'Arab' Ago Go's in cowboy where they are around the 200 baht mark. Again beer bars a lot less 140-160 and barfines in most places for ago gos only around 600 baht

Deffo looks to me Patong is significantly more expensive but we have know that for a some time now

I would be interested to see how newbie Paul would react to the pricing and all that seems to go on these days.

My 1st trips I dropped serious cash but my attitude was that the prices were so great that it was a bargain even spending 300usd in a night

Then with the girls. People may think this is BS but I had no desire to go with a "hooker" in Thailand. I figured I'd get some massages and that was it. Didn't do anything with the bars my 1st few days in BKK

But then I got to Patong...went to Bangla and it felt like picking up a girl at home. No money discussed. Just made me feel comfortable about the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast