Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Geespot
  • 3 Post By LivinLOS
  • 4 Post By slampay

Thread: Rewarding for school performance

Rewarding for school performance

I started this thread on both forums

My wife and I got into a bit of a debate last night. Nothing contentious.....just two different outlooks I guess.

1st with Thailand GPA system being based on a 4.0 scale I assume that they follow the same system as we do in the west/NA?

So she promised her son that if he got a 2.5 avg or above she'd buy him an IPhone.
    I am not against rewarding for performance but I told her I wouldn't reward for just an average performance.*
    Now it all depends on the child but I can tell you he is very capable of more than a 2.5. He is a bit of a slacker(in a good way) so by setting a low bar he'd do just enough to get that.

Two points she made that stood out:
    1) She said that she only got a 2.3 so he did better than her but I mentioned that she got that 2.3 in a much challenging life than he has. She was batting poverty while he lives a middle class life.

2) And this might be cultural. She mentioned it is good, especially since he is a boy. Possibly teenage boys aren't expected to do as well?

I thought it was an interesting discussion and stressed to her neither was right or wrong.....just different approaches.

I agree with you. Reward for outstanding performance only. Could be different for each kid but as parents you know when your kid has gone above and beyond.
    Last edited by tnlawyer; 2nd March 2015 at 06:51.

Where I come from this is the premise of spoilt brats

No one I know was ever rewarded with money and gifts for trying hard and doing well in exams. It's hammered into you to try your best and everyone knows these days your future employment success is partly dependent on it

My son who has just turned 16 is doing his exams this spring...........it has never entered my or his mind that he should be rewarded for what is expected of him or for what he expects from himself...........he knows what is at stake

That said i will buy him a car when he is 17 but that's nothing to do with what he does at school but more to do with what i see as a right of passage
    Last edited by Geespot; 2nd March 2015 at 07:04.
    Waharoa and davis121 like this.

^I agree. And my dad let me buy a motorbike when I was 15 as a right of passage.. or so he said... he didn't pay for it though... 55

It's a bit weird getting something as extravagant as an iphone just for getting average grades. Think most i got was like a take away pizza or something

Well.......he was getting a phone regardless
    He needs one...so I think this was just presented this way..

Now......I don't think he needs a new IPhone at 14yrs old and will see if anyone at work has an older one we can buy from them
    If not I suggested a cheaper phone

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    2) And this might be cultural. She mentioned it is good, especially since he is a boy. Possibly teenage boys aren't expected to do as well?
    I would agree that its sort of expected and somewhat forgiven that boys are going to be less into schooling and learning.. Girls seem to get held to much higher standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    That said i will buy him a car when he is 17 but that's nothing to do with what he does at school but more to do with what i see as a right of passage
    Definately.. I bought my brother his first car at 17 and his 21st birthday rolex (before I owned one !!)..

Both 2 of the best things I ever bought.. Made me hugely pleased to be able to.

I never got anything for doing anything but when I was a kid my parents paid for everything.
    That being said both a 2.3 and a 2.5 are still "Above average" GPA's and not to be sniffed at.
    Someone who finishes a University degree is to be applauded, and a GPA like that will get you further than most.
    Outstanding results on the other hand should be rare by definition, and celebrated.
    I question the validity of a 4.0 GPA. What does a person like that do for a special occasion?

I see nothing wrong with providing financial incentives to do well in school... but doing so for a 2.5 seems a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I never got anything for doing anything but when I was a kid my parents paid for everything.
    That being said both a 2.3 and a 2.5 are still "Above average" GPA's and not to be sniffed at.
    Someone who finishes a University degree is to be applauded, and a GPA like that will get you further than most.
    Outstanding results on the other hand should be rare by definition, and celebrated.
    I question the validity of a 4.0 GPA. What does a person like that do for a special occasion?
    A 2.3 when my wife didn't have shoes and literally didn't know where her next meal was coming from with parents that couldn't help her with her schoolwork is remarkable

A 2.5 from a kid who I know can achieve A's and B's and literally only has school to worry about in his pretty middle class life is underachieving,IMO

I waded into this thought during the debate but we all know any TG takes anything as a slight

Even though I was heaping praise on her and telling her I know her son is smart.....but none of that was going to be heard

Even though I was heaping praise on her and telling her I know her son is smart.....but none of that was going to be heard
    Captain, WarProfiteer and Dkdude like this.

Why would you question the validity of a 4.0?
    It is achieving the highest marks.......and most times I've known its been well earned

Not saying a person with a 4.0GPA hasn't earned it. Just that it's something that's impossible to beat.
    There aren't too many other things in life like that. I wouldn't so much question the GPA but would look at everything else around it.

Not saying a person with a 4.0GPA hasn't earned it. Just that it's something that's impossible to beat.
    There aren't too many other things in life like that. I wouldn't so much question the GPA but would look at everything else around it.
    You mean being more well rounded?
    I agree with that and something I'd encourage

Our niece is all 4.0 her whole life and will get scholarships to the best schools in BKK, I am told
    She is a great kid and wants to be a doctor. She is the kind of kid you know will go on to be something.
    We've been waiting in the background but already decided we will make up any gap in finances she needs to keep on going throughout.

We just want the parents to pursue everything they can before we tip our hands

^^You are a mind reader. I can really see how you would want to give every support for someone like that.
    Maybe convince Ao to reward a 3.0 =75% = an overall "A".

You mean being more well rounded?
    I agree with that and something I'd encourage

Our niece is all 4.0 her whole life and will get scholarships to the best schools in BKK, I am told
    She is a great kid and wants to be a doctor. She is the kind of kid you know will go on to be something.
    We've been waiting in the background but already decided we will make up any gap in finances she needs to keep on going throughout.

We just want the parents to pursue everything they can before we tip our hands
    Did your niece get exact incentives to be so brilliant? ...... I didn't think so.

With my boys, it's all just a big bag of forward progress thing? I'm lucky enough to be able to provide the wherewithal to pretty much pay their way through university. I pay a lot, but I always leave them a bit skint. Their job is school, and learning life. Call it a degree in life skills? I dunno..

The more momentum they gain in education, the more carrot I feed.

It's been many many years, but my little dudes, bit by bit, have started to gain traction on my little plan. Their texts and phone calls now mainly start with..."dad! I aced my xx class, I'm presidents honor roll!"

I reward in the way of incoming money! 55 (I always send it for the basics, food ect, but inflated)

They can spend it on a surf-board or on a new mother board, I don't care. With trust, I kinda let them pay themselves.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

well..speaking of grades and averages...I taught at a Gov't university for some time in Phuket..and I can tell you that their grading system is a bit jaded...80% and higher is an A
    75% B+ 70% B 65% C+ 60 C 55% D+ and 50% D.....also if your score ended up being a 49.6. for example.it was rounded off to a 50%
    in most other western countries I think..90=A 80= B 70= C 60=D..below 60 fail..at least thats what its like in USA

I'm not sure how it works in the International prgrams here..but I do believe that all the Thai schools and maybe even English program schools work on the above mentioned