Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chiang Mai air quality...

Chiang Mai air quality...

Tourism spared impact from Chiang Mai air quality - The Nation

This technique used below (to rid the atmosphere of dust particles), kinda' reminds me of the flood remedy used a couple of years ago...ie, "anchoring power boats in the river and running the props", to increase the flow rate. (TIT)

Maybe the same "Science Minister"?

Fire trucks spray water into the air at Chiang Mai yesterday as part of an ongoing mission to reduce the amount of dust particles in the environment. Air pollution is a problem in 10 northern provinces, where 142 million rai is cov

Last edited by Pablo; 12th March 2015 at 06:29.

K2
    5555 - you would think this was a spoof story from NOT The Nation ... TiT indeed !!
    Its My Life .....!

Wow, I shouldn't be surprised, but, that's just scary.

Only in Technology Leader Thailand. You gotta wonder who comes up with this stuff. Maybe Governor Nitwit made a stop in Chiang Mai to help them straighten out THEIR tourist problems too?
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Yeah the instant reaction is the same flood thought..

I was saying a few days ago to people complaining about the smog how it wasnt so awful and people just love to complain.. I was in tho pool and the sky was blue, clear, lovely in fact.. But the day after it went south badly and last 2 days its been ugly.. Plus due to doctors and lawyers I heard yesterday I might not be able to escape, my plan was to do a doc appointment end of month and drive to Samui with the dog (and missus) for a break.

All it needs is a bit of breeze or a real rainstorm or two. It hasnt rained here in so many months. I mean not a single drop since Nov maybe. We are not the same tropical vibe as being south.

Also.. 40 fucking degrees.. OK its a dryer heat and it is less sweaty.. But wow, middle of the day is like an oven and airless. Was 30 degrees at 9pm the other night.. It changes from basically perfect cold season to hot so fast, just flips from extremes in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah the instant reaction is the same flood thought..

I was saying a few days ago to people complaining about the smog how it wasnt so awful and people just love to complain...
    can you guys offer any advice on smog "season"?? is the air quality worse at any particular time of the year??

My sister is planning on heading to Chang Mai in May next year, from Phuket.

Any advice on air transport etc would also be appreciated, so I can help her out.

Late May is usually ok.. Its march april its at its worst.. With haze rather than smog in Feb and possibly May..

We have just had some rains, with big rains last night, and thats cleared it to very liveable levels.. Weather dependant on what it gets like and if thats now mostly passed.. That would be pretty early to be fully past but the peak smog, when I would say avoid the place, is usually for small periods and can move in that time quite a lot it seems.. Weather systems etc..

Air transport.. Theres direct HKT CNX flights with both air asia and BKK air.. I fly BKK air every time in that choice, it looks like a little bit of a headline cost whn you first look, but free bags, nicer staff, no seat purchases, a snack provided, lounges (in swampy also, not DM, if on other routes) etc.. Its just less nickle and dime you and comes out within pennys of the same cost.

Thanks LIL, appreciate that info.

Ironic, I dug up this thread and the previous post, you mentioned no rain for so long, (NOV??), now you post Rain, 5555

K2
    Nok Air had a promo last month (Feb '15) so I used them and happy enough but airline of choice as Sef says would be Bangkok Air.

May should be clear/start of rainy season (thunder showers - nothing too sustained).
    Its My Life .....!

The haze on Phuket this morning is worse than I have ever seen it. The hills behind the trees are completely masked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes
    This is the bloody reds fault...bring their CM pollution south.

Whats the source ?? Looks pretty bad..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Whats the source ?? Looks pretty bad..
    No idea but it wasn't here yesterday.

strangely Samui has been hazy all day today as well...first time I have ever seen it like this in the 3+ years I have lived here

Yes Patong is eerie (barely see the hills) and I noticed the smell as soon as I stepped outside, so definitely "from" something as opposed to just cloudy weather.

Still well below hilltop height here in Kamalala.
    So Somchai has decided to burn off a rubbish heap next door just to add to it - fwit!

It will be a heat inversion - saw plenty of them over the Great Lakes in Canada in summer.

Absolutely windless - a good blow will clear it.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 27th August 2015 at 16:53.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Ugh.. now who am I going to believe..

Phuket haze not Indonesia?s fault, says expert

PHUKET: The Indonesian fire haze that has settled over Kula Lumpar is not associated with the thick haze that Phuket residents woke up to this morning, confirmed a top official at the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD).

“This is ‘wet haze’, which is normal,” said Suntad Panbanpaew, director of the Phuket TMD weather center. “This weather condition often occurs with high relative humidity and stagnant air flow.”
    And then we have:
    Phuket health advisory issued over forest fire haze

An officer at the Natural Resources and Environment Phuket office told The Phuket News that the regional NRE head office in Songkhla had confirmed that the haze originated from forest fires in the south of Sumatra, Indonesia.
    The northern tip of Sumatra is just over 285km southwest of Phuket.

“Data from satellites reporting to the US government global environmental scientific research centre National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) have identified that the haze is from forest fires on Sumatra,” the officer said.
    NOAA satellites identified 152 forest fires on Sumatra on Tuesday (August 25). That number fell to 29 forest fires identified yesterday (August 26), he added.

Although the number of fires raging in Sumatra is falling, the fallout in Phuket as of yesterday saw the pollution particulate measure in Phuket register 58 micrograms per cubic metre.
    Satun province, south of Phuket, recorded the worst air quality in Southern Thailand, with a reading of 83 PM10, while Surat Thani recorded a reading of just 41 PM10.

Bit of a contrast with the sunset pics off Surin Beach in only a week.

I guess they don't have "severe pollution" in a weather app so they call it fog 5555
    Waharoa likes this.

^^ Yeah there were some pretty mad photos and videos on FB this morning.. It got pretty huge and its close to built up areas, temples, etc..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast