Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Evilbaz
  • 2 Post By Pablo
  • 1 Post By Geespot

Thread: Thai Air Safety

  1. #1
    K2
    K2 is offline
    Super Moderator K2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,543

    Thai Air Safety

    Thailand's airlines face ban on new flights amid international safety concerns

    BANGKOK Thailand is facing bans on new international flights and increased inspections after the International Civil Aviation Organization flagged significant concerns about the country's aviation safety ...
    Its My Life .....!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Simply look at the timeline..

    Thai Airways reform to test business credentials of military government | Reuters

    Jun last year.. Military men put in charge... Without real business experience..

    Thailand's new military rulers have singled out the country's troubled flagship airline as the first state enterprise to undergo reform, an exercise that will test their unproven business acumen and ability to separate politics from business.

    Thai Airways International Pcl has racked up four quarters of losses due to declining ticket sales, high operating costs and ruthless competition. Boardroom fights have also led to slow decision-making and a lack of coherent strategy, sources in the company say.

    The junta led by General Prayuth Chan-ocha has told the chief of the Royal Thai Air Force to fix the airline. Air Chief Marshall Prajin Juntong, who also oversees economic matters for the military government, said on Friday a detailed restructuring plan aimed at returning the carrier to profit will be considered by the board at a meeting on July 24.

    The success or failure of Prajin, who has little practical experience in running a business, will have wider implications for the government. The junta needs to assure foreign investors of its ability to manage the economy and that it is not out to merely weed out allies of previous prime ministers.

    "You are right in noting that Prajin is a military man with little experience in running a company," Monthon Satchukorn, a spokesman for the Thai Air Force and a Prajin aide, told Reuters in an interview.

    "Prajin is a man whom he (the junta leader) can trust," Monthon said.
    Government approves struggling Thai Airways' restructuring plan | Asian Legal Business

    "The airline won't go bankrupt because the government will take care of it," Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha told reporters during a meeting of the state enterprise super board.
    To this current one.. Once again doing so well for private industry..

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,231
    These are the same guys that can't even keep a fcuking blimp airworthy?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    They'd be ranking above the Malaysians and the Germans currently.
    kaptainrob likes this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    So the new military managed Thai civil aviation authority had an inspection.. And scored just 21 out of 100 tests.. They failed 79 of them !!!

    This causes Japan and Korea to react.. and Wongsawan ex army bod is disappointed that the air force bod who they put in charge didnt manage to 'make them understand'.. What on earth does he think hes going to explain ?? Airline safety isnt some 'farangs not understand our democracy' excuse.. Its a series of tests, which you have failed, and are putting peoples lives in jeopardy..

    They took charge of Thai Airways and of course the Thai aviation authority with oversight of all airlines last year.. They then assured it would be fine because they could throw taxpayer money at it... They put military men with zero real world business experience into these roles.. As they have in so many other sectors which we dont get to hear about test results.. And look what happens.. Its tested on actual quantitative tests, and fails dangerously.

    There is a very real possibility (currently still low probability but still) that Thailand will get a tier 2 rating, stopping all flights of Thai airlines to pretty much all of the modern western world.. Thai air would be limited to the great routes to Lagos etc.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,231
    Generally speaking, Thai Airways fares are mostly higher than their competitors.

    With major airlines, the #1 cost (highest) is their labor. (fuel being the second highest cost)

    Also generally speaking, from what I've learned about Thai Airways salaries, they pay mostly lower labor costs than their competitors.

    And still, they seem to lose billions every year.

    It certainly begs the question..."Where's all the money going?"

    T.I.T.
    geir and Dkdude like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    This happens a lot in Noggieland as well, the government subsidize or basically take over major companies that may go bankrupt. Or at least the companies are being put under government administration until it's clear why it's going down hill. Normally it's a last chance to save the company and all the jobs it generates.
    But like Pablo say, T.I.T. and who knows where the money's been going.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Wheres all the money going?

    I would like to see their accounts

    But my guess and partly from memory they have / had been running a huge network of flights of which many they couldn't compete on in terms of service / quality product / price. This has probably resulted on low occupancy on many routes. So too many planes fully staffed and operational for the revenue stream

    Thats not even considering the overheads of maintenance, ground staff, airport staff and office staff to support all the uneconomic routes

    How much senior managerment & directors have been rewarding themselves and the extent of well known junkets and free flights for all and sundry VIPs
    LivinLOS likes this.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Generally speaking, Thai Airways fares are mostly higher than their competitors.

    With major airlines, the #1 cost (highest) is their labor. (fuel being the second highest cost)

    Also generally speaking, from what I've learned about Thai Airways salaries, they pay mostly lower labor costs than their competitors.

    And still, they seem to lose billions every year.

    It certainly begs the question..."Where's all the money going?"

    T.I.T.
    I am lead to understand as a quasi government owned national carrier they give free flights to civil servants and military.. I have read that 3 - 5% of operating costs go on these free perks.. I dont have that data to hand but have read this multiple times.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    This happens a lot in Noggieland as well, the government subsidize or basically take over major companies that may go bankrupt. Or at least the companies are being put under government administration until it's clear why it's going down hill. Normally it's a last chance to save the company and all the jobs it generates.
    But like Pablo say, T.I.T. and who knows where the money's been going.
    But when a western country takes on a failing asset they put business people in there with experience to turn it around.. We now have air vice marshall Prajet or something.. Who hass no business experience at all in running a for profit airline company.. Having a go at it..

    Secondly the real issue here is not only the airline which is under problems but the Thai civil aviation authority.. Who were just tested and passed only 21 out of 100 of the tests.. Its this that is causing all the countries to start imposing fight restrictions. The fear that the oversight authority is not able to do its job and in turn the air safety as managed by the air force guy, is crumbling.

  13. #13
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But when a western country takes on a failing asset they put business people in there with experience to turn it around.. We now have air vice marshall Prajet or something.. Who hass no business experience at all in running a for profit airline company.. Having a go at it..

    Secondly the real issue here is not only the airline which is under problems but the Thai civil aviation authority.. Who were just tested and passed only 21 out of 100 of the tests.. Its this that is causing all the countries to start imposing fight restrictions. The fear that the oversight authority is not able to do its job and in turn the air safety as managed by the air force guy, is crumbling.
    For once I totally agree, I was just pointing out that it's not uncommon for a government to do a similar move to avoid a big company turning bankrupt. The choice of person seems like a bad move to me as well.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But when a western country takes on a failing asset they put business people in there with experience to turn it around.. We now have air vice marshall Prajet or something.. Who hass no business experience at all in running a for profit airline company.. Having a go at it..

    Secondly the real issue here is not only the airline which is under problems but the Thai civil aviation authority.. Who were just tested and passed only 21 out of 100 of the tests.. Its this that is causing all the countries to start imposing fight restrictions. The fear that the oversight authority is not able to do its job and in turn the air safety as managed by the air force guy, is crumbling.
    Must be just a coincidence that its relative to the junta takeover

    Trust us..............fuck the oversight is the order of the day.................and just to add Farang don't understand 5555555555555

  15. #15
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    For once I totally agree, I was just pointing out that it's not uncommon for a government to do a similar move to avoid a big company turning bankrupt. The choice of person seems like a bad move to me as well.
    Well it doesn't just apply to airlines and the governing air safety authorities.............many facets of government have military as the heads............oh and including a PM with absolutely no qualifications to run a country

  16. #16
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Well it doesn't just apply to airlines and the governing air safety authorities.............many facets of government have military as the heads............oh and including a PM with absolutely no qualifications to run a country
    Its just this is one where an actual quantitative testing process is regularly applied to a set standard.. and in doing so discovered miss management to the point where 79 out of 100 tests failed.

    The other things they are in charge of (including a nuclear reactor surprisingly enough) I am sure are being handled with total transparency and ability.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Its just this is one where an actual quantitative testing process is regularly applied to a set standard.. and in doing so discovered miss management to the point where 79 out of 100 tests failed.

    The other things they are in charge of (including a nuclear reactor surprisingly enough) I am sure are being handled with total transparency and ability.
    But they don't understand Thailand is different 55555555555555555

  18. #18
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    THAI safety concerns extend to EU | Bangkok Post: news

    Europe has quietly begun to vet safety standards of Thai Airways International (THAI) aeroplanes that fly to its airports over concerns about Thailand's aviation safety standards.

    The inspections, which cover not only the aeroplanes themselves but certificates and licences of flight personnel, have so far been conducted at four European cities including Frankfurt and Stockholm, according to industry executives with knowledge of the matter.

    The physical inspections of THAI aircraft, which are likely to expand to more European cities served by the Thai flag carrier, may lead to the blacklisting of Thai airlines.

    Those European countries were reacting to the designation by the UN International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) of Thailand for having a "significant safety concern" in a global alert that was issued on March 20.

    Adding insult to injury is the likely move by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to carry out an audit of the Thai aviation industry, according to executives who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
    Is it just me.. Or are the words fingers crossed' coming from an airlines executive when discussing safety inspections the kind of words that no PR dept ever wants to have to deal with ??

    "Fortunately, we [THAI] have not received any more responses from the EU and no word from the FAA, so we're keeping our fingers crossed," the executive told the Bangkok Post

  19. #19
    Senior Member slampay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,639
    ^^ 55 no, it's not just you. Unbelievable..
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •