Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Escaping Songkran

Escaping Songkran

Toying with the idea of getting away for Songkran. Not looking to leave the country though, as I just got my extended tourist visa. Any ideas on where to go that isnt smoky as hell and packed with tourists throwing dirty moat water on each other for a week?

Since coming back to CM a few days ago, the smoke is really getting to me (actual burning sensation in the lungs). The idea of sheltering myself from the morons by staying home for a week doesnt sound fun. I know there are places that only celebrate for a day. So I'm thinking of leaving again for a week somewhere. Any ideas?

Also, what are your plans for Songkran? Just deal with it? Go out and play in it?

In Ranong it's only madness for one day, so I'm going to hide in the house and watch movies that day........I've had my share of ear/eye infections during the last 15 years of Songkran so I'm happy to stay at home....
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

one day here as well...I go to the boxing bars...get pissed/get sprayed/watch shiny wet beautiful women hosing themselves and others down/go home/get laid....what's not to like

I am headed to Bangla. Call me crazy but for one day a year (and the night before I guess) it is kind of fun. Once I get bored I just sit at the hotel swimming pool or hit the beach as an easy escape from the madness. It has been so hot lately I'm looking forward to it!

*Looks at booking a Samui trip.

I honestly wouldnt mind it if it were a day. But the shit drags on for 4 official days here, but there's always people starting a day or two early and still playing a day late. So it ends up being a week. That's just too long to spend inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    I am headed to Bangla. Call me crazy but for one day a year (and the night before I guess) it is kind of fun. Once I get bored I just sit at the hotel swimming pool or hit the beach as an easy escape from the madness. It has been so hot lately I'm looking forward to it!
    Providing Patong has water.
    F'kall here at my end of Kamalala.

Movies, grog, make a couple of lasagnas from scratch, only go outside onto the patio for Kamalala's one day on 13th.
    Checked Songkran off my list a few years back, except for when we do the family thing venerating the elders (not me this year - they are home to Na Om just west of Aranyaprathet.)
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

It seems many Thais are escaping songkran. I flew from Bangkok to Istanbul yesterday (Saturday), and I have never before seen so many Thais on the plane. And while it usually is a Thai girl together with a western man, this was Thai families. I believe almost half of the passengers were Asian, and those I heard talking were Thai.

Yes hear similar stories about going back to see their families. Those remaining are definitely starting the Songkran fun early - already soaked twice today just walking to Jungceylon from Sansabai.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Yes hear similar stories about going back to see their families. Those remaining are definitely starting the Songkran fun early - already soaked twice today just walking to Jungceylon from Sansabai.
    Going back top see the family is normal. I am talking about going abroad with the family. As tourists.

The Songkran madness is well and truly going in Patong, Bangla road is awash tonight.
    Got in and out of the outskirts with only a few splashes but tomorrow...I'm prepared for the full monty.
    The hotel I'm in emptied out totally and refilled today. Gives you an indicator of how many are fleeing the water frenzy.

I thought tonight on Bangla was the busiest water fighting I've seen in the 6 or 7 years I've been here. WAY different from the slow starts back in 2002 era, this was full on. Even Soi Freedom (soi Eric) has water fighting now, and to be fair a great cover band, it would have been busier there (at back of soi Freedom)I think, but from the end of the soi you might have thought it was just a dj! I was not focused on it, but impressed enough to have noted it... Tomorrow should be fun, good atmosphere tonight!

Just started raining here on Samui.. Of course wet at song gran shouldnt make a difference, but will see how that works out.

Little bit rain in Ranong as well, but I wont go out to check out the festivities..................Are you heading elsewhere after songkran Sef???

Just to confess... I actually went out and participated in Songkran today for about 2.5 hours. It was fairly enjoyable, honestly. It helped that we stayed at one particular boxing bar and by plying the mamasan with a few drinks, she kept us supplied with really cold water. When people sprayed us, we'd retaliate and they'd squeal and run. I liked having that advantage, honestly. hahaa...

IMG_0106.jpg

Wet roads work

for me songkran is all about the kids...sure its great watching the wet girls dancing but its the kids playing and the looks on their faces that really gets to me.....

The second shot really sums up Thailand atm for me.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    slampay and JimCA2 like this.

Yeah it's great that the men in uniforms participate in the festivities Nels 5555

I don't live there but I love Songkran
    Such and awesome and unique celebration.

Ao and I really want to bring some of my nephews there for it....they would love it

Everyone was so vindictive against the police on Bangla 555, like their only chance to get even.

I heard they turned into the "Fun Police" back in the village, Don't do this....Don't do that....type of thing.
    The Grinches that stole Songkran....555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast