Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Vietnam Anti Chinese Riots.

Vietnam Anti Chinese Riots.

Reuters reports that 16 people believed to be Chinese and five Vietnamese were killed during riots in Vietnam last night:

Five Vietnamese workers and 16 other people described as Chinese died during anti-China rioting in the central Vietnamese province of Ha Tinh on Wednesday night, a doctor at a hospital in the province said.

“There were about a hundred people sent to the hospital last night. Many were Chinese. More are being sent to the hospital this morning,” the doctor at Ha Tinh General Hospital told Reuters by phone on Thursday.
    Associated Press has a much lower figure:

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — A top Taiwanese diplomat says rioters have stormed a large Taiwanese steel mill in Vietnam, killing at least one Chinese worker and injuring 90 more.

Ambassador to Vietnam Huang Chih-peng said the violence took place late Wednesday and early Thursday at the Formosa steel mill in central Vietnam.

Anti-Chinese sentiment has been running high in Vietnam ever since Beijing deployed an oil rig into disputed waters in the South China Sea on May 1.

Earlier this week, mobs burned and looted scores of foreign-owned factories in southern Vietnam, believing they were Chinese-run, but many were actually Taiwanese or South Korean.

I was in Binh Duong on Monday doing a bit of business about a kilometer from the Industrial park. Seems I was very lucky it wasn't 24hrs later.

Wouldn't be a pleasant experience being among a maddening crowd. I didn't realise they had attacked so many basically innocent individuals. I did hear rumors that the Police and military kept a low profile in a show of quasi govt support for the protest against China.

I'm a bit surprised that many people/protesters didn't know that it is a majority Singaporean and Taiwanese Industry park though...

This issue is appearing to be more than just a storm in a teacup. From what I have seen and heard there is the beginning of a real anti Chinese revolution...unofficial neighborhood meetings etc taking place in many areas as I type, which is days after the big blow up.

Could be similar to another Taiwan situation possibly arising.

It appears they are quite angry little fuckers when riled up!

With pretty good reason..

10264710_10203828900145398_5395276561394962985_n.jpg

But yeah I am seeing signs up Chinese not welcome as customers in hotels etc.
    TLandHim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    This issue is appearing to be more than just a storm in a teacup. From what I have seen and heard there is the beginning of a real anti Chinese revolution...unofficial neighborhood meetings etc taking place in many areas as I type, which is days after the big blow up.

Could be similar to another Taiwan situation possibly arising.

It appears they are quite angry little fuckers when riled up!
    Quite a good report on BBC.

Vietnam-China tensions: Why protests are not just jingoism

Dramatic images of Vietnamese workers vandalising Chinese-owned factories appear to be yet more proof that an angry nationalism is taking hold in East and South East Asia.

The reality is a little more complex. Although passions are certainly rising over the fate of a few specks of rock in the South China Sea, this is not simply jingoism at work.
    The first clue is that those most of the "Chinese" factories that are being smashed up aren't, in fact, Chinese.

There are several accounts of what triggered the rioting. Some say it began at an officially-sanctioned protest that got out of hand. Others have suggested that an American-based organisation of anti-Communist Vietnamese exiles, Viet Tan, may have played a role.

BBC News - Vietnam-China tensions: Why protests are not just jingoism

I hadn't heard of Viet Tan before so did a little checking , on the surface they appear to be basically a pro-democracy movement.

Viet Tan engages in actions that empower the Vietnamese people. Specifically, we seek to roll back existing restrictions against two key human rights: freedom of expression and freedom of association and assembly. These enabling freedoms are the pillars for civil society.

Human rights violations in Vietnam are an affront to our collective humanity and directly impact the interests of all who desire a stable, just and prosperous Vietnam.

While the Vietnamese people must ultimately solve the challenges of Vietnam, international friends can offer solidarity in many crucial ways. Viet Tan works with democratic governments and international NGOs to address human rights abuses and support civil society initiatives.
    Fair enough , but a little bit more digging reveals :

On March 14, 2010 Viet Tan members gathered in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi, Vietnam to assert Vietnam's maritime claims to the Paracel and Spratly Island. They distributed t-shirts and hats with slogans that were prohibited by the Vietnamese government.

A similar protest against China's actions over disputed maritime territories occurred on October 8, 2010 with approximately 70 members of Viet Tan in attendance inHanoi, Vietnam. The members said it was their responsibility as citizens to speak out, and passed out T-Shirts and hats calling for the government to defend its right to sovereignty over disputed islands in the South China Sea
    So , although they are pushing for democratic reform in Vietnam they are also stirring up 'nationalistic' support against China.

An outside N.G.O involved in regional politics ? Where have I heard that before !

A bit of a concern if it's real.

Looking at it philosophically though, it is probably something that is going to happen eventually. By that I mean when China really decides to flex its muscles and push for becoming the new world power however far down the track that may be.

Nukes probably aren't such a bad thing...it's probably the only thing that has kept world peace (well on a large scale) since their invention.

I/we may not like some US policies etc but having a heavy hitter out there is probably all that keeps some of the more excitable nations from exercising their more formidable strength on neighbouring countries.

If it's in their interest of course 555

It is still quietly simmering away - as it is in parts of the Philippines. Fishing boats facing off.

Vietnam and China have traded accusations over the sinking of a Vietnamese fishing boat not far from where China has controversially parked an oil rig in the disputed South China Sea.

Vietnam and China trade accusations after Vietnamese fishing boat sinks - Australia Network News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

China flexing their muscles hasn't slipped under too many radars. This is one of the first times I have seen the discussion from Australian defense centre around China rather than Indonesia as an immediate threat.

Defence needs more money and broader strategy to deal with China's emergence as regional power: think tank

Defence needs more money and broader strategy to deal with China's emergence as regional power: think tank - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Stupid eyes ! when i glanced at the title of the thread first i was bemused vietnam anti-cheese riots ?

K2
    Its My Life .....!

From the article
    A crew of 10 were on board and had to be rescued by other fishing boats in the area.

The Chinese are weary enough of the Vietnamese.

The last major engagement between the two was an embarrassment for the Chinese.

Sino-Vietnamese War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by PadMC; 8th June 2014 at 04:32.

It seems that rather than giving them an indication that the area really does have legitimate title claims by other nations, China has called Filo and Viet shows of cooperation "a clumsy farce"....

What's more it appears the Vietnamese are the ones ramming and sinking all of the ships 555

"Don't you think this small move together by Vietnam and the Philippines is at most a clumsy farce?" China's foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

Spratly Islands: China denounces Vietnam, Philippines over volleyball and soccer games, claims Vietnamese ramming ships - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)