Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thailand confirms new 6-month visas for tourists

Thailand confirms new 6-month visas for tourists

Thailand confirms new 6-month visas for tourists

By Asian Correspondent Staff Sep 22, 2015 12:58PM UTC

The visa, costing 5,000 baht (US$139), will be available from November 13 this year. 'It will grant travelers multiple entries during a 6-month period, for up to 60 days per entry. All foreign nationals are eligible to apply for METV,' the statement said.

Thailand confirms new 6-month visas for tourists | Asian Correspondent

^Still having to leave every 60 days makes this a pain.

Its helpful for a very small subset of people..

So its multiple, you can come and go as much as you like.. Thats the plus..

But you need to border hop anyway.. So in reality its only slightly different than a previous double or (harder to get) triple entry 6 months.. But at a higher cost.

If this was available at the border / airport.. then huge news, if this is still apply at an embassy, its pretty much just a tweak. The only people this really helps are ones going in and out more than 3 times in the 6 months, which is a pretty small subset of travelers.

You still don't have to bother with the 1900 Baht extensions, and get away with only one border run. A triple entry today which is hard to get means you have to leave the country twice.
    If the rumors are right and you can extend this one at the immigration with another 3 months, I think it's a pretty good improvement.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    If the rumors are right and you can extend this one at the immigration with another 3 months, I think it's a pretty good improvement.
    each entry is still 60+30 in everything I have read..

Are they still +30 extending a 30 day visa exempt stamp ?? They started that this year but I dont know if they kept it up.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Are they still +30 extending a 30 day visa exempt stamp ?? They started that this year but I dont know if they kept it up.
    Yes, this is still the way it's working... just did it myself about 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, but then extension on the new tourist visa will give you another 3 months, so 9 months multiple entry is a huge improvement. It's almost not worth bothering with Non-im O anymore. Then again nothing is said about if you after that 9 months can go to an embassy and get a new tourist visa.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

....It's almost not worth bothering with Non-im O anymore.....
    I'll be sticking with my Non-Imm O thanks very much....way easier...especially if you can do online 90 days report-ins...unfortunately Samui doesn't support this...but its no biggie dropping into our local Immigration Office most months with the exception of Jan-March when it is crazy busy

A new visa which requires border runs and at the same time they block people with valid visas from doing border runs to Cambodia.. Sometimes I wonder who is in charge
    LivinLOS and WarProfiteer like this.

Yeah, but then extension on the new tourist visa will give you another 3 months, so 9 months multiple entry is a huge improvement. It's almost not worth bothering with Non-im O anymore. Then again nothing is said about if you after that 9 months can go to an embassy and get a new tourist visa.
    6 months multiple entry.. the last 60days + 30 days would be a permission to stay and not possible (cost effective) to in and out then (re-entry permit of course)..

I still say this only helps someone if they wished to go in and out MORE than 3 times in the 6 months, and if your going in and out more than that, why not simply 30 days stamps and 30 day extensions ?? Anyone going out less than that could have got a cheaper triple entry tourist visa in their home country.

Sure its a small upgrade, but hardly changes anything for people trying to 1) stay here long term on tourist visas or 2) the average visiting tourist touring the region..

We don't know the exact details of what you can and cannot do though.

There is no mention of the possibility of doing extensions in-country using this new visa (just rumours), so whilst it covers a 6 month period, it's only 2 months at a time and sounds like you'd have to therefore leave 2 times to get the full 6 month coverage, rather than like the current Double Entry Tourist Visa which you can extend after 2 months for another 1 month, meaning you only leave once during that 6 month period.

So unless I've missed something and until we see details, compared to a Double Entry Tourist Visa - it's multiple entry, but you can't extend.

I dont believe they will stop extensions.. Tourist visas, single, double, triple, and multiple should logically all come under the same standard..

Yeah I know.. Logic..

I dont believe they will stop extensions.. Tourist visas, single, double, triple, and multiple should logically all come under the same standard..

Yeah I know.. Logic..
    Even if there are extensions, it's still for a 6 month period, so just the same as a Double Entry Tourist Visa - just instead of leaving twice (after 2 months, and then again after the next 2 months) you may just be able to do the 2 months + 1 month extension meaning you only leave once.

This visa just looks like a Double Entry Tourist Visa but multiple-entry, so better for those who are planning two or more trips in/out of the country in a 6 month period. Less than two trips and its cheaper to get a Double Entry Tourist Visa.

I think this is a good excuse to stop back to back (or near back to back) 30's with no visas. I suspect they will push that agenda and point to multiple entry tourist visa. Anyway just my guess

I can see the oil guys are going to have to go to a consulate or embassy somewhere to get their Tourist M visa, then can come back and forward as they please without the worry of will they let me in or not

I could fit into the same category e.g. I qualify for Non O but just as easy to take Tourist M on the basis of back and forward multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Even if there are extensions, it's still for a 6 month period, so just the same as a Double Entry Tourist Visa - just instead of leaving twice (after 2 months, and then again after the next 2 months) you may just be able to do the 2 months + 1 month extension meaning you only leave once.

This visa just looks like a Double Entry Tourist Visa but multiple-entry, so better for those who are planning two or more trips in/out of the country in a 6 month period. Less than two trips and its cheaper to get a Double Entry Tourist Visa.
    My guess is this.. Each entry will gain the usual 60+30 days.. The visa will be for 6 months.. so entry on the 179th day will get you 6 months plus 60+30.. More like the triple entry which is harder to get here in asia but not o hard in home countries.

The benefit of course is the multiple entries instead of numbered entries.. but then if your entering more often than each 60 days, you could just do a 30 day visa exempt stamp and 30 day extension.. No 'visa' needed at all... So its good for the subset of people who need to go in and out, more than 3 times, but less than every 60 days.. Which is to me a small subset.

you could just do a 30 day visa exempt stamp and 30 day extension.. No 'visa' needed at all...
    I think this is still an issue and will it become even more so when they point you should have tourist m?

Knew I should've waited before ordering my Thai Elite card!

(Joke)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPicky View Post
    Knew I should've waited before ordering my Thai Elite card!

(Joke)
    I honestly think people would be better off with the normal double entry tourist visa than using this new one. And people looking for long stay can later switch to an ED visa, so long as they plan on actually going to class and learning Thai.
    MrPicky likes this.

I find its funny that the ED visas for language are getting clamped down on.. But here in CNX you can now get a 'self defense' ED visa, taught by military police trainers, for 32k for a year one.. With no tests and I am told no worry's about attendance.. Because its military police the visa app is very smooth and all 'done for you' I am told..

So they found themselves another nice little earning in the 'reforms' !!!
    WarProfiteer and MrPicky like this.

I find its funny that the ED visas for language are getting clamped down on.. But here in CNX you can now get a 'self defense' ED visa, taught by military police trainers, for 32k for a year one.. With no tests and I am told no worry's about attendance.. Because its military police the visa app is very smooth and all 'done for you' I am told..

So they found themselves another nice little earning in the 'reforms' !!!
    I had wondered about the guys here studying Muay Thai for a year... coming through the airport are they asked to throw a few roundhouses in the air to prove they've been going to class?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast