Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: A very worrying development.. Immigration..

A very worrying development.. Immigration..

So it was posted (initially mocked and downplayed) that someone going for a re-entry permit had a rash of new forms..

They want to know what vehicle he drove, his social media profiles, overseas addresses, bank accounts used, locals who can contact you, etc etc etc.. Even as far as demanding information on where you 'visit regularly'..

First response from the ThaiVisa mods was 'not true' then the forms were photographed and posted..

I think its time to drop my extensions and go back to annual visa, 90 day entry and visa running if I am incountry for >90 days. Simply wont be complying with any of that.. My exit plans to establish a base outside of the country are being accelerated.

Add in the TM28 and TM30 address reporting.. 24 hour notice of locations etc (as predicted the system they designed was hopeless and doesnt function).. This is all a bit nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dont worry, they are the govt... they have a plan!

I have also accelerated my exit plans as well. Trying to be gone now by the end of the year.

P.S. One of the guys working for me is Brit, but of Indian descent. He came in a few weeks ago, had only one single 30 day stamp in his passport, had been gone for 2 months, yet they still called in a supervisor and gave him the 3rd degree mini-interogation. Where are you staying, show us your ticket to leave, how many times before did you come to Thailand, etc.

This guy is definitely not a cereal long stayer... his passport was running out and he needed to do the 10 year renewal. He'd visited 4-5 times over the last 5 years, never staying more than 3 weeks- on his last passport. Got a new one, visited once, then got held at immigration and made to produce all sorts of documents to prove everything he'd told the initial immigration officer.

My sincere belief is they just dont want us here... no matter how many single moms we support. ;>}

I didn't have time to do my re-entry permit when I renewed my retirement visa last month. I will go to Phuket Town when they reopen to check on this.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    I didn't have time to do my re-entry permit when I renewed my retirement visa last month. I will go to Phuket Town when they reopen to check on this.
    Most reports are coming from Cheng wattana / bangkok.. I think there was a couple of other ones scattered about.. No one seems to have said its landed in CNX yet.

I dont think I will be reporting as I intend to travel within my 90 days + 7 window (close tho I need the 7 which is a bit iffy).

Letter to the editor - Unacceptable Data requests - Samui Times

Seems like Alan Partridge is in residence

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    a base outside of the country
    did you pick another country in SEA?

Quote Originally Posted by slimbag View Post
    did you pick another country in SEA?
    Going to start a biz back in europe this summer.. So will have a base in UK at first..

If biz goes OK I might look for something southern Europe thats close to a major airport.. Commute between there, work, and Chiang Mai.
    K2, slimbag and kris-one like this.

I still think Majorca. I fcuking love that place. Every time I go I think this is so me, could live there in a heart beat. Obvs not major airport tho.. But easy commute say if you were needed in London say once every other week or something.

Theres almost certainly going to be a year (or a summer) before biz is both large enough to afford running multiple homes and stable enough to not be full time kicking ass to make things happen.

I just really have an issue with winter.. But winter in CNX is perfect weather. Will just have to see.

Going to start a biz back in europe this summer.. So will have a base in UK at first..

If biz goes OK I might look for something southern Europe thats close to a major airport.. Commute between there, work, and Chiang Mai.
    I thought you wazz retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    I thought you wazz retired?
    I am.. But lots of reasons.. A big one being I wouldnt like to be as unproductive in the west as I am happy to be here.

I am kind of hungry to see if I can build a proper multi national from scratch again... Even in what I predict will be a tough climate in 24 months..
    Mums not getting any younger or needing any less assistance.. Or for that matter is my old fella. I should be there for them a bit more than phone calls.
    I have a hankering for a bit of western mid life crisis stuff, wouldnt mind a sportscar and some track days..
    I dont like the direction the country is going, and like to have a lifeboat.. Just in case..

At this point I am not quitting Thailand.. I will keep a base here.. But the writing is on the wall, and return to normality is becoming ever more distant. I fully understand people may knock or not believe in my 'sky is falling' mindset, as applied to investments, markets, politics, media lies, etc.. But I am slowly putting in a plan that gives me options. Nothing more than that. Maybe I find in a year it was either unrequired or I cant stand the control of speed cameras and TV licenses, we will see.

Hope it goes well.

Interesting move to say the least.

Sometimes I feel the same, but my two weeks back in Noggieland last May sort of cured me again. That said I think it's good to go back every now and then to apreciate what you have.................(side note, how do I get the spell check working.....just installed new Windows).
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Made Khaosod English as well.... for a bit of an explanation

Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners for Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts

For national security purposes naturally....

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Sometimes I feel the same, but my two weeks back in Noggieland last May sort of cured me again. That said I think it's good to go back every now and then to apreciate what you have.................(side note, how do I get the spell check working.....just installed new Windows).
    Question... why does it only have to be Thailand or home? It's such a big world out there... so many other options to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Question... why does it only have to be Thailand or home? It's such a big world out there... so many other options to explore.
    Agree, but it is my wifes home country and I feel more like home here than anywhere else I've been. And I have settled down here and it's a big move to try to sell everything and leave.
    My limited, but good experience in Cambodia makes it the only tempting country in SEA.
    I've had a few South American girlfriends in the past and I know it's no way my Mrs would fit in with those people. It's a big latino community in my hometown and in Oslo and it's not for me anymore. Heard Portugal is dirt cheap and beautiful, but I don't know about the people.
    I guess it's a bit different in my situation as I'm working and making a living in Thailand. I'm at least 10 years away from retirement the way things works at the moment.

A very worrying development.. Immigration..

I've been working up in central London working normal hours (was a shift worker before so never took full advantage of after work drinks and going out). Found a new appreciation.. London's a fcuking awesome city. Helps coincided with clocks going forward. A nice wage and no responsibilities helps of course.
    Waharoa, K2, LivinLOS and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Agree, but it is my wifes home country and I feel more like home here than anywhere else I've been. And I have settled down here and it's a big move to try to sell everything and leave.
    My limited, but good experience in Cambodia makes it the only tempting country in SEA.
    I've had a few South American girlfriends in the past and I know it's no way my Mrs would fit in with those people. It's a big latino community in my hometown and in Oslo and it's not for me anymore. Heard Portugal is dirt cheap and beautiful, but I don't know about the people.
    I guess it's a bit different in my situation as I'm working and making a living in Thailand. I'm at least 10 years away from retirement the way things works at the moment.
    Yeah missus (and dog) slows down things..

I could just torch all my stuff.. I honestly dont give 2 fucks about it.. Some beaten up dirtbikes ?? TVs and computers about due an upgrade ?? Sure you could add it all up and say its worth X but that X isnt worth one seconds feeling of being constrained (this is why I cant be a property investor, or have illiquid investments).

In your case I dont know why the Burma coast isnt highly on your radar, early birds to that market, ones that land on the lonely planet banana pancake trail are going to do very well IMO.. I too like Cambo, a lot, but I am still paying off some marriage points on that, I dont think my free travel rights kick in for another couple of years

Anyway, as I said already, I am not 'leaving' just stacking the deck with options and lifeboats. For me a bunch of things came into alignment, old biz partners, huge new work just local to my folks at the new Hinkley C (and met a guy who says he might know who to bribe ) wanting to be there for my olds a bit.. I am conscious it wont be easy on the missus, being Thai she doesnt handle being alone too well, but she can grow up too, learn to take international flights alone a bit more, learn to go to bangkok and process euro visas, get a bit more global herself. You never know, maybe in 2 years the whole idea will have become less interesting, but right now I am actually looking forward to a bit of western summer.

Fact is, you rarely go wrong by having options, I really wont become one of those aging expats, trapped by finances or lifestyle, who feel they cant leave.. If things go sour, I already want my base, not time to start thinking of it then.

Yeah missus (and dog) slows down things..

I could just torch all my stuff.. I honestly dont give 2 fucks about it.. Some beaten up dirtbikes ?? TVs and computers about due an upgrade ?? Sure you could add it all up and say its worth X but that X isnt worth one seconds feeling of being constrained (this is why I cant be a property investor, or have illiquid investments).

In your case I dont know why the Burma coast isnt highly on your radar, early birds to that market, ones that land on the lonely planet banana pancake trail are going to do very well IMO.. I too like Cambo, a lot, but I am still paying off some marriage points on that, I dont think my free travel rights kick in for another couple of years

Anyway, as I said already, I am not 'leaving' just stacking the deck with options and lifeboats. For me a bunch of things came into alignment, old biz partners, huge new work just local to my folks at the new Hinkley C (and met a guy who says he might know who to bribe ) wanting to be there for my olds a bit.. I am conscious it wont be easy on the missus, being Thai she doesnt handle being alone too well, but she can grow up too, learn to take international flights alone a bit more, learn to go to bangkok and process euro visas, get a bit more global herself. You never know, maybe in 2 years the whole idea will have become less interesting, but right now I am actually looking forward to a bit of western summer.

Fact is, you rarely go wrong by having options, I really wont become one of those aging expats, trapped by finances or lifestyle, who feel they cant leave.. If things go sour, I already want my base, not time to start thinking of it then.
    Yeah, since my money is locked up in properties it's not easy to leave even if I wanted to. The house in Ranong is an easy sell these days even with a 100% profit. The guesthouse on KP is a different story. As for the moment I'm very happy here and tourism is still growing on my little island. Luckily I left the bars in Patong at a good time.

Being almost 8 years on an undeveloped island Burma is not tempting. I feel I'm to old to start all over again and wait for infrastructure and facilities. It start to get highly livable on Phayam now with better roads, electricity and upgraded land titles on the doorsteps. Within 2 years hopefully everything is in order and the value of our land will rise.......(well, at least that's what I hope for and is a part of my retirement plan).
    If I had plenty of money I wouldn't mind to have a cabin back home and spend a couple of months there every summer. The problem is that a half decent cabin would cost 4-5 mil Baht and the living costs for 2 months would probably be 4-500k Baht inclusive tickets and car rental.

Options is always good and if I was single I would for sure explore Cambodia more.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast