Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: No more multiple entry non immigrant visas..

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    This is it
    erm.. Isnt that the Laos visa ?? Looks like it..
    2girls1cup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1cup View Post
    Visa?.......
    The way the elite ones work is they are a special / glorified tourist visa.. Even tho they are a scheme for 20 years, you get a 5 year tourist visa put in your passport, each entry to Thailand inside that 5 year validity gets 1 year permission to stay.. At which time you can either border hop, and get a new 1 year permission to stay, or you can have the elite card people handle an incountry extension for a year (only in bangkok ??). This class needs 90 day reports even tho its a tourist visa as it enables stays of over 90 days.

With that visa there would be no sense in obtaining a re-entry permit.. As you would have both a valid visa and a year permission to stay (counting down), and any re-entry into Thailand would get a new full year as opposed to the shrinking extension. This is the same odd situation as the OA visa while the visa is valid (and changes once your into the second year of the OA once the visa expires).

Slimbag would confirm that as he looked into buying one in detail if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    erm.. Isnt that the Laos visa ?? Looks like it..
    A visa is a visa to me. All I know is they gave me 90 days. Now I am applying for marriage visa
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Is it not the case that the visa would remain valid but the extension of or permission to stay would be invalidated ??

So need to border hop for a new 90 days with a visa.. Or leave and either come in on a 30 day visa exempt or go get a new visa if extension.

That was the way I was told it worked when ending a job, the factor was visa or extension (again!!) ?? Is that not correct understanding currently ??
    I think only if you hadn't extended the Non-Imm B (past the initial 90 days) yet. Once you come in on a Non-Imm B visa (single entry) it gets used and you're on a 90 day stay which won't get extended unless you can show a work permit.

If you're ending a job you can usually transfer your permission of stay over to your new hiring company assuming you're leaving the old company on good terms when your contract runs out or doesn't get renewed because you would have to show a letter to the labour office in order for them to issue a new work permit for your new job. Then show your new work permit to immigration to get a new permission of stay extended until the end of your new contract.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 9th November 2016 at 20:59.

A visa is a visa to me. All I know is they gave me 90 days. Now I am applying for marriage visa
    Here-here...
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

No Bill.. I mean isnt that the visa issued to go into Laos.. A Laos visa not a Thai visa ??

Unless Laos consulate has some special ones made with Laotian script on them ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    I think only if you hadn't extended the Non-Imm B (past the initial 90 days) yet. Once you come in on a Non-Imm B visa (single entry) it gets used and you're on a 90 day stay which won't get extended unless you can show a work permit.
    Yeah for a single.. as the visa is then marked used and done..

Should have been more clear.. sorry..

Here-here...
    The issue not being the nomenclature rather the issue being the wrong country ??
    2girls1cup likes this.

The way the elite ones work is they are a special / glorified tourist visa.. Even tho they are a scheme for 20 years, you get a 5 year tourist visa put in your passport, each entry to Thailand inside that 5 year validity gets 1 year permission to stay.. At which time you can either border hop, and get a new 1 year permission to stay, or you can have the elite card people handle an incountry extension for a year (only in bangkok ??). This class needs 90 day reports even tho its a tourist visa as it enables stays of over 90 days.

With that visa there would be no sense in obtaining a re-entry permit.. As you would have both a valid visa and a year permission to stay (counting down), and any re-entry into Thailand would get a new full year as opposed to the shrinking extension. This is the same odd situation as the OA visa while the visa is valid (and changes once your into the second year of the OA once the visa expires).

Slimbag would confirm that as he looked into buying one in detail if memory serves.
    this is all correct, also if you live in one of the supported cities (bangkok, pattaya, chiang mai..) the elite card guys will do the 90 days report for you.

Feck Bill, you must have been confused. That is a Lao visa, not a Thai visa.
    I hope you weren't confused when voting and ticked Trump 555555555

Any updates on Penang still issuing 1-year non-imm B's? Last year I think it worked with 8-months still validity on the work permit, but not sure about any changes recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Feck Bill, you must have been confused. That is a Lao visa, not a Thai visa.
    I hope you weren't confused when voting and ticked Trump 555555555
    My God, I hope you didn't ticked Trump! We know how he can retaliate!

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post

1.1 The age of applicants must be at least 50 years of age and are required to apply for the O-A visa at the Thai Consulate in their respected countries, or if a tourist travelling with a different visa wishes to change their visa type to O-A they are able to but they will be issued a multiple entry O-A visa for a duration of 5 years and are able to apply for another 5 year renewal of the O-A visa.

just to add to this now only 2 land border crosses per annum when arriving at the land border without visa and requiring visa exempt. Some exceptions principally i would imagine Malaysians, Cambodians & Laotians

I'd be curious as to what the actual motivation is for the limitation. Not any official reason, or pointless dribble from people like "to stop them damn backpackers from hanging around too long"... seriously, is that really causing some kind of loss of money or big social issue that justifies the cost of enforcement?

What's really at the core of telling people who arent 50, and that's really who this is pointed at imo, that we're going to continue to limit your options for staying here? When I think of any possible problems the under 50 long stayer crowd is causing... it's a fraction of a percentage of the issue overall within the society. So what's really underlying these new rules?

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I'd be curious as to what the actual motivation is for the limitation. Not any official reason, or pointless dribble from people like "to stop them damn backpackers from hanging around too long"... seriously, is that really causing some kind of loss of money or big social issue that justifies the cost of enforcement?

What's really at the core of telling people who arent 50, and that's really who this is pointed at imo, that we're going to continue to limit your options for staying here? When I think of any possible problems the under 50 long stayer crowd is causing... it's a fraction of a percentage of the issue overall within the society. So what's really underlying these new rules?

Its to get rid of all the foreigners working illegally.

Agree... but in the usual Thai short sighted manner. They will eliminate a few illegal workers, at the loss of a lot of better heeled payers and players... A net loser to be certain.

They don't seem to be concerned about exploited Burmese slave/workers though... The ones who really ARE competing with Thais for jobs!
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    Agree... but in the usual Thai short sighted manner. They will eliminate a few illegal workers, at the loss of a lot of better heeled payers and players... A net loser to be certain.

They don't seem to be concerned about exploited Burmese slave/workers though... The ones who really ARE competing with Thais for jobs!
    I don't understand how anyone can complain, our countries impose the same or more stringent immigration rules.

Why do we expect Thailand to offer more?

Probably the biggest gripe, IMO, is how little regarded you still are when married to a Thai vs what a Thai received from our respective countries when they immigrate to our countries....
    That is about the only gripe I think is legitimate

Its to get rid of all the foreigners working illegally.
    Is this truly impacting Thailand in any significant way?

Indians working in Indian Restaurants or Tailors... Chinese working at whatever they work... are those jobs truly needed for Thais? They damn sure aint concerned about the construction or fishing industries... chock full of foreigners. Last I checked tho, Thailand has one of the lowest unemployment rates anywhere. So again, is it really impacting Thailand negatively enough to make it worthwhile to enforce?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast