Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: No more multiple entry non immigrant visas..

No more multiple entry non immigrant visas..

Posted this on ThaiVisa last night..

I am unsure if this is news or already known.

I had an appointment to get a non imm O on the basis of marriage Nov 3rd from wales UK. Last night the Welsh Consul called me at end of the day and said they have been told they can not issue any multiple entry non imm visas after the end of the month. He offered me a METV on Nov 3rd or to change my appointment, which I did and went this morning and collected a 1 year non imm O multiple. Job done and good service.

The consul said that all UK consuls are now instructed they can not issue them under any circumstance after end of month. He said this was a directive from the ministry of foreign affairs (IIRC).

Secondly he said that while the embassy can choose to still issue multiple entry visas, the guidelines he has been told are that they will not be issuing any multiple entry visas as of next month without 'very special circumstances', he said basically no more married or retired 1 year multiples, that possibly business non imms 'may' get multiple entry visas if they could show a suitable use case, but the vast majority will be refused and all people should take a single and then extend incountry. Normal business operators with a Thai company would not qualify he believed, only international business where the country is frequented very often for short duration with a proven history (a bit like the 3 year non imm B ) would be possibly special enough.

So far I see no notice on the UK Thai embassy site but the consul said this has only just came through hence him going through the appointment list. He said that 'for sure' this is UK wide but that he believes the way the notice has been issued it will be worldwide. He was quite open about it all but said its METVs or Single entry non imm Os from now on.
    The screw keeps tightening.. Remains to be seen if he is right, or if this remains the case going forward, but the Welsh consul is pretty adamant that London wont hand out non imm multiples for marriage or retirement any more, and any Bs will be extremely rare for non Thai businesses visiting frequently with a proven history (like the 3 year non imm B now).

I tried to call London for a confirm but after 30 mins on hold gave up.

I wonder if this will apply if one applies in Thailand? How can this possibly be. Once you leave the country your visa is no longer good? If you come back then on a tourist visa??
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

My schoolmate lives already 16 years in Thailand. Got one of his office in BKK, in World Trade Center. Came to Belgium from July till last week. Wanted to renew his bizz non O visum and was refused As he signed the documents and not his Thai secretary. Belgian embassy in BKK sent more documents to Thai Consulate here. So got a 3- month visa and has to fix everything for a new bizz visum in BKK.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I wonder if this will apply if one applies in Thailand? How can this possibly be. Once you leave the country your visa is no longer good? If you come back then on a tourist visa??
    You cant ever apply for a visa inside Thailand.. Only extensions of stay to an existing visa.. Those are unaffected.

What it is doing is stopping all those who have a non imm B but not enough staff etc to extend incountry, or retirees or married people who dont have the 400k or 800k incountry for months, etc etc.. Now they just get the single entry and must comply to get the year.

All well and good, if immigration can keep up.. Chiang Mai already has all night queues to get a queue number in the morning !! 80 year old retirees having to queue up with the mossies starting at 1am to get a retiree extension appointment.

I wonder if it will be different for me this year.
    I have been getting a marriage visa w/work permit every year.
    This next one will be only a marriage visa.

Do you go outside Thailand and get a new visa ?? Surely you (or your lawyer) go to local immigration and get an extension of stay annually ??

At the exact same time we have..

Tourism Minister Talks Up 5-Year Visas

I cant help but notice “If Thailand had a clear strategy and marketing plan, I believe we could attract long-stayers as much as Malaysia does,” she said.

At the exact same time we have..

Tourism Minister Talks Up 5-Year Visas

I cant help but notice “If Thailand had a clear strategy and marketing plan, I believe we could attract long-stayers as much as Malaysia does,” she said.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Do you go outside Thailand and get a new visa ?? Surely you (or your lawyer) go to local immigration and get an extension of stay annually ??
    No, only the first business visa I got before I was married. Never leave the country..for visa, just have to go to Immigration every year.

...Actually, I had to leave the first three years with just the business visa. Then with the marriage visa, never had to leave again.
    Last edited by billpay; 26th October 2016 at 19:11.

OK so each year you go to immigration your not getting a new visa, your extending the permission to stay (granted when you entered on your old initial visa) visas let you enter into Thailand, permission to stay allows you to remain there. Which is also why you need a re-entry permit if leaving the country, to keep your permission to stay valid.

Those are totally unaffected. What is possibly affected is that they wont issue multiple entry visas, only single entry visas. I also should point out thats the word from welsh embassy only, tho it appears to be being confirmed on Thaivisa by other consuls in the UK, perth in Oz, etc.

Feck! The Welsh have an embassy? Did they break away from the UK after the brexit? 555555555
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Feck! The Welsh have an embassy? Did they break away from the UK after the brexit? 555555555
    Wales is the centre of the universe. I thought everyone knew that

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    OK so each year you go to immigration your not getting a new visa, your extending the permission to stay (granted when you entered on your old initial visa) visas let you enter into Thailand, permission to stay allows you to remain there. Which is also why you need a re-entry permit if leaving the country, to keep your permission to stay valid.

Those are totally unaffected. What is possibly affected is that they wont issue multiple entry visas, only single entry visas. I also should point out thats the word from welsh embassy only, tho it appears to be being confirmed on Thaivisa by other consuls in the UK, perth in Oz, etc.
    So, everytime I leave the country, I need to go to immigration and get a reentry visa? Pain in the ass, but if they allow it multiple times, at least it's doable.

Yes, there are Multi Reentry Permits cost around 4000Bt .

^Yes, I know right now, I do get one every year. They are saying they will not be available anymore. (3800B)

....reentry visa 1900...... money no big issue, just a fkn pain in the ass to go to Phuket Town and deal with those assholes.
    Last edited by billpay; 27th October 2016 at 08:43.

^Yes, I know right now, I do get one every year. They are saying they will not be available anymore. (3800B)

....reentry visa 1900...... money no big issue, just a fkn pain in the ass to go to Phuket Town and deal with those assholes.
    You can get a reentry permit at Patong immigration, I did it very recently.

No Bill.. Thats not the issue at all..

Re entry permits dont have any application to visas.. They apply to your permission to stay.

Its really much easier to understand once the difference between visas (to enter Thailand) and permissions to stay (to remain in Thailand) are clear.

This issue applied to 1 year multiple entry visas, as issued outside of Thailand. The next confirms need to be to see if what the UK consuls are saying is correct nd the London embassy no longer issues them at all.. After that its if this is worldwide (Oz is saying similar to people) including the important Savhannakhet location where so many expats (Gier, Kev and many of my mates) have been going.

Seems like they are systematically locking down the visa loop holes, with Ed, Tourist and now Non-Imm Bs getting the treatment.

Probably just my own perspective, but the biggest issue is that a company owner/work permit holder needs 4 Thai employees...so I guess they want to drive that out, but from my standpoint I do contribute a lot of baht to Thailand each year for practically free to Thai society, including paying rent and income taxes and keeping all paperwork valid...so killing the multi-entry and enforcing the other requirements for work permit holders means no foreigner-owned, small single-person or few-person consulting type firms can exist, which, fair enough is their choice, but not every company needs 1+4 employees. I even have an Amity company which allows me certain privileges but not into the scope of immigration/labor.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    Seems like they are systematically locking down the visa loop holes, with Ed, Tourist and now Non-Imm Bs getting the treatment.
    Yeah but the army will still sell you a 'self defence' ED visa direct from Kwalia fort for one year..

So they have that corruption thing well in hand..

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast