Thread: Chiang Mai Motorbike Registraition

Chiang Mai Motorbike Registraition

Does anyone know if its currently possible to register a bike in your own name on a 30 day stamp (No Visa) in Chiang Mai?

I know you are supposed to etc. but i have managed to do this in Phuket and BKK before without any questions.

You could bring the registration papers to Phuket and do it there............

I seem to recall stories about it being a bit tougher up here than Phuket so some sort of visa may be required.

They were harsh on me (but I had a visa) but that's because the boss woman lost face by telling me it was impossible to have a registration on a trailer, they did not exist, trailers could not be plated.. right before I handed her my trailer registration..

Up here (everywhere now ??) you have to have the full sellers docs, including letter of residence for seller, and the sellers visa stamps.. Used to be just passport copy and form, with residence letter only for buyer.

I think it's easy in Phuket and BKK because they are used to deal with foreigners. Here (Ranong) it's a pain in the ass to get anything done at the traffic station or at the immigration.............

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    They were harsh on me (but I had a visa) but that's because the boss woman lost face...
    Sad how that's an actual factor in getting official business done in this country...

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    You could bring the registration papers to Phuket and do it there............
    OK, so it does not matter what province the book belongs to? You can transfer ownership anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    OK, so it does not matter what province the book belongs to? You can transfer ownership anywhere?
    Not quite.. Bangkok plates can move and be registered anywhere.. Seems a perk of the Capitol..

You can put any address into a book, in the books home province (eg use a hkt address in CNX on a CNX bike)..

Or you can transfer the plate to a new province if you have an address there.. ( eg bring the vehicle to hkt and get a new hkt plate and get it in your name) the province transfer part takes an extra week or maybe even 2, costs an extra couple of grand also.

That's how the system has worked for me over the years.. Including a recent move of province last year for the trailer. But they are computerizing and updating so it's always subject to changes.

You can't change any plate in any place.. It's the current plate province for quick, or do a provincial transfer and name change to your destination province for slower.

What have you bought now, Erik?

But to the original question:
    Yes, it is possible to get a green book on a 30 day stamp in CNX.
    At least that's what I'm going to Have done when I get back from work and get my residency letter again from Immigration.

Also think I got that book on a 30 day stamp in 2008 for my BMW

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Not quite.. Bangkok plates can move and be registered anywhere.. Seems a perk of the Capitol..

You can put any address into a book, in the books home province (eg use a hkt address in CNX on a CNX bike)..

Or you can transfer the plate to a new province if you have an address there.. ( eg bring the vehicle to hkt and get a new hkt plate and get it in your name) the province transfer part takes an extra week or maybe even 2, costs an extra couple of grand also.

That's how the system has worked for me over the years.. Including a recent move of province last year for the trailer. But they are computerizing and updating so it's always subject to changes.

You can't change any plate in any place.. It's the current plate province for quick, or do a provincial transfer and name change to your destination province for slower.
    Like you say it's possible, but it may take up to 2 months to get the new(phuket) number plates. You are still allowed to use the bike tho....
    If I was you I would just try to get it done in CM, and if it don't work out just bring all the paperwork to Phuket,,,,,,

I bought a car with Trang registration in Phuket, no problems at all..............They asked me if I wanted to change into Phuket plates, but I didn't have to.

Havent bought anything yet. We are planning a trip later this year, and im looking for a proper bike for a mate. Chances are i will find that in CM.
    Preferably 650GS or similar. Have been looking at the Kawasaki Versys also as an option. Im not sure how much it can handle? My KTM Enduro fell apart on my last trip..

Think there are about 3-4 650GS's up for sale at the moment in Chiang Mai - on GT-Rider listings.

Ok, so how long will the quick transfer take? Meaning just name change, leave the book/plates registered in the original province?

No idea, but Sef or Lew should be able to answer that as they have gone through that process there.

^ i`ve still got Phuket plates on my Click and Chev the ZX got changed by the guy i sold it to up here.

The VFR was bought here in CM with local plates,so can`t help you there but i`ve had 3 go`s at getting a LoR from CM immigration (tried again today) and come up empty on all occasions...."full,can you come back"...PITA that place.