Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lightemup
  • 1 Post By geir

Thread: Vientiane Double Entry Tourist Visa- Business as usual

Vientiane Double Entry Tourist Visa- Business as usual

I just picked up my double entry tourist visa front the Thai Consular section in Vientiane.
    Putting in application happens in the mornings between 0830-1130.
    Picking up passport with visa next day 1330-1530.

I arrived yesterday morning at 0815 at the Consular Section gate and saw a line more than 100 meters long, loads of minibuses with people. Cheeky as I am, I cheated in near the front of the line and when the gate opened at 0830, I managed to get a number in the 80's. Some of the guides working for the minibuses had grabbed the first 60-70 numbers before the gate opened and distributed them to their customers. Today, when I picked up my passport, I spoke to another countryman of mine, who yesterday had number 600-something. What a nightmare having to wait for that.

Today, I arrived at 1230 and again got into near the front of the line, getting a quite low number. But different to yesterday, there weren't more than maybe 150-200 at the opening of the gate. I wonder if the sheer volume of people yesterday were too much to handle in one day and they got postponed or maybe they just decided to arrive later on than at opening.

With regards to tightening of the rules and having to show more documents, this did not happen to me.
    I got a double entry tourist visa with just an application, copy of passport, visas, 2 photos and 2000 baht in fee. (1000 baht per entry)

This is my first experience with the Vientiane visa processing and it must have been hell for people not as cheeky as I. But my experience was very good, in and out in less than an hour both days.
    I certainly don't envy the Consular Section staff their job and think they do a very good job.

It's the people applying who are idiots. Like the Canadian woman, who got "her" passport back, left the building, came back 10 minutes later saying, you gave me the wrong passport. It was an American passport belonging to a dark skinned male. Obviously she blamed it on the staff, but had failed to read the sign saying, to check your passport, your name on the visa and dates when you receive your passport back. You can lead a horse to water, but can't force it to drink...
    K2 likes this.

Like stated by someone before.....it seem to be pretty much up to the officer what visa he decides to give. Anyway, at least you and I got "happy visa endings" this week 555
    K2 likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Stories verified 2 double entry visas at Vientiane red stamped and told not to return

I wonder if the numbers at Vientiane now are because of the restrictions on 30 days entry stamp without visa?

You mean VT told them at the embassy last TR, or immigration told them at the border the TR was no good 'next time' ?? I am guessing the former.

VT have for a long while been giving TRs to people without 'too many' which is why people go to savannakhet who are much easier and dont red stamp. They also give out 12 months multi entry non imm Os based on marriage, without showing cash currently.

And yes, the number of applications seem to have spiked of course... ThaiVisa warning against mondays and another day (thursday ??) as being super busy ?? I think due to that being the peak days of the visa run buses.

All that said.. Not heard so much about the officer discresion on 'too many' stamps lately.. That immigration boss got transferred out in the shakeup.

Wonder if the army is going to make the immigration rules better or worse............some consistency would for sure be nice. (not that I ever believe that will happen).
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Wonder if the army is going to make the immigration rules better or worse............some consistency would for sure be nice. (not that I ever believe that will happen).
    But visas are so arbitrary all over the world....it really is based on if that officer is having a good or bad day.
    I am renewing my work permit but I need approval of my job by HR Canada but I thought I'd try it without when I was coming back to Canada from biz in March
    The girl was 2 seconds away from giving me 3 years until she asked someone else

Ao got her 10 year US visa because she qualified but akso because her I interviewer in US Consulate in Vancouver was a Thaiphile.....he spent the whole interview trying to speak Thai and talking about Thailand 555