Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Thailand 30 days Visa Expemot and now 60 days Tourists visas - 12th August 2014

Thailand 30 days Visa Expemot and now 60 days Tourists visas - 12th August 2014

Not a new subject but worth bringing up again as 12th August 2014 date looms and some scary stories on Thai Visa and other news agencies concerning how immigration are taking action on 30 days visa exempts and now 60 days tourist visas

Key issues and uncertainties

Back to Back 30 visa exemptions no more
    Clarity on timeline between visa exemptions
    Tourist visas possibly targeted and talk of no more back to back visas
    Timelines between tourist visas if targeted
    Proving you're a tourist, what will it take?

Bona fide tourists will NOT have a problem. Those who live here and work elsewhere, coming and going on a regular basis, may have to re-appraise their situation. Non imm O Marriage or retirement visa's best option.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Bona fide tourists will NOT have a problem.
    You can't say that for sure. "Probably" not have a problem, but it only takes a lazy/annoyed immigration officer to refuse you.

I have *dozens* of stamps in my passport. They're not back-to-back, but it would take time for an IO to track and follow each of the stamp's entry/exit. Each stamp has *always* been as a tourist (never more than 2 weeks), but I would feel *very* uneasy about an IO taking a look and automatically thinking "not a tourist".

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    You can't say that for sure. "Probably" not have a problem, but it only takes a lazy/annoyed immigration officer to refuse you.

I have *dozens* of stamps in my passport. They're not back-to-back, but it would take time for an IO to track and follow each of the stamp's entry/exit. Each stamp has *always* been as a tourist (never more than 2 weeks), but I would feel *very* uneasy about an IO taking a look and automatically thinking "not a tourist".
    If you arrive by air and all previous entry/exit stamps have NOT been back to back you have nothing to worry about. You are a regular visitor or tourist.

Others, who 'reside' in Th and rely on border runs are being targeted.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 15th July 2014 at 19:04.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    From what I understood, if your passport is plastered with tourist visa covering up for the past full year and you want to extend by back to back visa run, you're going to be out of luck going forward.
    Possibly part of the story but not all of it

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    If you arrive by air and all previous entry/exit stamps have NOT been back to back you have nothing to worry about. You are a regular visitor or tourist.

Others, who 'reside' in Th and rely on border runs are being targeted.
    Common sense says you're right but this is Thailand................I think we will know more soon after 12th August

I'm certainly in the category of lots of Tourist visas but each entry / exit broken with trips away to work.
    Last edited by K2; 15th July 2014 at 20:16. Reason: External link removed.

and how far does 'away for work' on a tourist visa mean or count? or is that the big question?

You certainly are not a typical Thai tourist, I guess?
    Yes i think a lot of people go away working and come back on a regular basis. Even people working full time or self employed in the UK some are coming here 6-8 times per year on holiday

I think this is the very issue of the uncertainty but also there may be people taking gap years or extended holidays who dont fit the profile of visa exempt 30 days tourist, or double / triple entry tourist visas that require back to back entries

and never do a back to back visa run?
    The issue is no one has defined what back to back means.. 1 day.. 3 days.. 1 week..

Its too officer dependent currently. Right now its more a case of looking and thinking 'too many stamps'..

Just thinking through this, I'm a right we can exclude this category as they would enter 6-8 times on a 30 day tourist exempt (or that visa on arrival 30 day stamp we all get on our western passports when flying in) and never do a back to back visa run?

I mean, if you fly in 6 times per year and you can stay another 30 days ... the year is full, or not?
    I would hazard a guess most people stay 2-3 weeks but interesting I read before from tourist statistics the average length of stay is only 4-5 days. Say if you are from Hong Kong, KL, Singapore etc and you come for long weekend multiple times per year then what happens?

My guess is that the weight will be on you to prove you are a tourist, I would envisage possibly for someone coming frequently to show

Return ticket within the specified exit date whether that be 30 day visa exempt or tourist visa
    Proof of funds
    Proof of accommodation
    Proof of employment outside Thailand (e.g. payslips etc)

Ok, but than you would enter Thailand only for 4-5 days (long weekend?) holiday.

It's clear that you are not residing in Thailand for a full year on a tourist visa and sneaking in/out to extend that stay in-country?
    See even that bit doesn't make sense, the reason they give double entry and triple entry tourist visas is for extended stays. My point would be if you have the funds and can demonstrate youre not working there then whats the issue

I think youre right about the 4-5 days tourists as long as there is sufficient outside Thailand time then it wont be a problem. The more extended stays with lots of stamps will be the issue and as said before how long and now frequent out of Thailand will be some kind of unwritten acid test

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The issue is no one has defined what back to back means.. 1 day.. 3 days.. 1 week..

Its too officer dependent currently. Right now its more a case of looking and thinking 'too many stamps'..
    My point exactly. Can you honestly picture an immigration officer tracing 20+ entry/exit stamps trying to work out if its back-to-back or actual tourist visits??? They're not making it easy for themselves, so I can really see some bored/pissed off officer just looking and thinking 'too many stamps - probably not a tourist'.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    My point exactly. Can you honestly picture an immigration officer tracing 20+ entry/exit stamps trying to work out if its back-to-back or actual tourist visits??? They're not making it easy for themselves, so I can really see some bored/pissed off officer just looking and thinking 'too many stamps - probably not a tourist'.
    When the BG's get wind of this there will be the hard sell I marry you proposals 5555555555555555555
    soupdragon and ub2yoo like this.

6 x 30 day entry = 180 days UB2.

Airport Immi Officers know what to look for and which Q's to ask [in English] to establish bone fides. The clamp-down is to deny farangs LIVING [and working] here ... those who do border runs, any further opportunity of flying under the radar. Ie: Make life difficult for illegal workers and criminals.

Many farangs who 'work' here operate a business via the 'net'. Those actually operating a web-based business from within Th have cause to worry,others merely keeping in-touch, have nothing to fear.

Once again, if you visit regularly [especially flying in] you have no problem, nothing changes.
    ub2yoo likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

^I just talked to a guy staying at SB that lives in Bkk most of the year and has been using 60day double entry visas. He was told at immigration today that he would not be able to come back the next time unless he was gone 30 days. So, does this mean 30 days is the number? He did not get clarification from the official......so who the fcuk knows.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I wish everyone the most convenient and best lifestyle ... and are just trying to understand the visa rules.

But living in BKK most of the year on a 60 day double entry visa ...? Isn't that what these new enforcements are about?
    Yes and no.................yes as in legitimate is if he is a tourist but might not qualify for retirement so no other visa options, no is if he is working and on a tourist visa

So hopefully, do you think today, with sufficient evidence, he could explain this positively to an immigration officer?

well, that would be a bummer not worth to be discussed
    Cant see how they are clearly saying no back to backs..............it then leads to what is the outside thailand time required and what evidence do u need to prove youre a tourist

What he is really waiting on is trying to get he GF a visa to the US. He is not old enough for a retirement visa. Yes, I think he is the type they are targeting. He makes good money on rental property in the US, and spends a lot of his time in Thailand.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Yes, but how do you get 20+ back to back stamps in your passport?

or other way around, if you have 20+ fly-in stamps for the past 12 month, you are a mega very frequent flyer ;-)
    I never said back-to-back or the period, I specifically said they weren't back-to-back - but the problem is it would take a hell of a lot of time and trouble for an officer to trace each entry/exit date (they're not always on the same pages, especially if you've visited other countries in-between).

In my case, I've racked up 20+ stamps in 2-3 years because I lived in Singapore and would often just come for the weekend - so 100% bona fide tourist, but the stamps *could*, if not examined thoroughly, make it look like I spend way too much time in Thailand for a "tourist".

Understood your situation. Let's see ... as long as you can explain it with an open heart and 'eye to eye' that you have been living in Singapore, that would be ok.

It would be a real error or bummer if you would get refused.
    Persons arriving by air are not likely to have any additional scrutinising of passport stamps than normal. The exception will no doubt be short hops out and back from say Cambodia or KL. However, unless those air 'hops' are back to back [or obviously] visa runs, a tourist and or regular visitor will probably only be asked 'hotel name and where visiting' type Q's.

Immi Officers can recognise TH stamps and spot trends very easily, it's their job.
    Last edited by K2; 16th July 2014 at 07:46. Reason: Unauthorized external link/reference removed.
    Cheers, Rob.

No, all of the stamps actually say the name of the point of entry. So mine have a few from the land borders at Mukdahan and Mae Sai, but most are from swampy airport.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast