Thread: New Visa Extension Rules 29th August

New Visa Extension Rules 29th August

Immigration Division 1

As per my other post, I can confirm Phuket Town immigration were aware of this change and it was almost enforced on me today (27th) but whatever they checked in my passport they were fine giving me the current rules - 1 year extension of stay based on my ED-visa/school course. Very lucky timing for me.

I know a girl here in Patong that has a language school and she told me that immigration told her, that 'soon' there would only be 1.5 yr. ed. visas with NO extensions.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I know a girl here in Patong that has a language school and she told me that immigration told her, that 'soon' there would only be 1.5 yr. ed. visas with NO extensions.
    It seems liek the above rules bring that to one year of exentions..

What is explicitly clear is if at the end of the year extending 90 days..You can go outside Thailand and get another visa and extend that for a year.. Its unclear if they mean 1 year one time or one year many times.

Wouldn't the default be you can apply for ED Visas for up to 10 years, as far as I know they haven't reduced the cap on that yet. And there's nothing in the above rules saying you can't reapply for a new ED visa in country... so in theory you wouldn't have to leave in order to get a new ED visa (if you know the right people).

Another potential loophole (oops, did I use that word?) is that people could simply change the subjects they are studying. As I understand it, Thai language is just one of the choices one can get an Ed visa for. I've heard there's also Muay Thai and Buddhism and I'm sure there's one or two others I'm not remembering.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Another potential loophole (oops, did I use that word?) is that people could simply change the subjects they are studying. As I understand it, Thai language is just one of the choices one can get an Ed visa for. I've heard there's also Muay Thai and Buddhism and I'm sure there's one or two others I'm not remembering.
    There is a memory class, too.

Sorry couldn't resist, there should be a resisting class, might be one, I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    It's no end of useful stuff we can learn in Thailand.......Imagine a life without knowing how to fight while you pray to Buddha in fluid Thai......
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    Wouldn't the default be you can apply for ED Visas for up to 10 years, as far as I know they haven't reduced the cap on that yet. And there's nothing in the above rules saying you can't reapply for a new ED visa in country... so in theory you wouldn't have to leave in order to get a new ED visa (if you know the right people).
    The extension of stay cannot exceed 1 year..

Thats what that means.. extensions can be extended.. over and over, but they have capped extensions for non college study at 1 year..

Class B (business) visa seems to still be the easy loophole. I know numerous people that have gone this route, get the one year class B visa & dont need to proceed in getting a work permit. All they have needed is a letter of introduction from a "Thai company" that they will be "seeking" a work permit with that company.
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1cup View Post
    All they have needed is a letter of introduction from a "Thai company" that they will be "seeking" a work permit with that company.
    Not sure if that's a loop hole, as they'd still be working illegally and they'd open themselves up to getting reported and deported if you ran afoul the wrong person. No different than getting an ED visa and working.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 29th August 2014 at 13:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    No different than getting an ED visa and working.

It is different because you dont work. Immigration questioning - "there's some mess up with the company, my lawyer is trying to sort it all out now, so have not been working".
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1cup View Post
    Class B (business) visa seems to still be the easy loophole. I know numerous people that have gone this route, get the one year class B visa & dont need to proceed in getting a work permit. All they have needed is a letter of introduction from a "Thai company" that they will be "seeking" a work permit with that company.
    In Malaysia or Singapore you would get a single entry Non B then you must return with the work permit to get the year visa. Not sure about other countries.