Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New ED Visa Rules

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    687

    New ED Visa Rules

    Just seen NH's post on another thread about new ED visa rules and didnt want to derail that thread so.........

    Is it correct the maximum amount of study now for an ED visa is 18 months ? And if so can you go back to an ED visa after a certain amount of time ??

  2. #2
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    I've been told that by my school in Patong and also a school in Bangkok, but no mention of how long must expire (if they even allow that) between a possible next visa.

    Quite oddly they'll allow you to learn another language (I vote English 555) if you want, just no more Thai!

  3. #3
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    This was from the Bangkok school just to clarify:
    As the new regulation which was issued by Thai authorities, when the student studies a language in Bangkok, it will qualify for 18 months ED visa, it means that you can get 18 months education visa for Thai course (6 months for each level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advance). If you already have 1 year ED visa with Thai then you will have 6 months left.

    After every 12 months with ED visa, the student must leave the country to get a new ED visa at Thai Embassy, Consulate in the overseas.
    That ties up with what my school said - I've done 12 months now, so I then have to take an exam at MoE and then get a new visa outside the country, which grants me 90 days + 90 days extension when due, totalling 18 months overall.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I've been told that by my school in Patong and also a school in Bangkok, but no mention of how long must expire (if they even allow that) between a possible next visa.

    Quite oddly they'll allow you to learn another language (I vote English 555) if you want, just no more Thai!
    Ok thanks NH I did also hear this a long time ago about studying another language but wasnt sure whether they had changed the goal posts there too .......will have to look into that then

    So if they only grant another 6 months for studying Thai after the first year.....will we only pay for 6 months or do we still get clobbered for another year ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    687
    Sorry didnt see your last post before mine........so in my case this is my second year so I guess for me will be change to another language or change visa ????

    EDIT: just spoke to the owner of the school and apparently I do qualify for another 6 months
    Last edited by davis121; 7th April 2015 at 18:55.

  6. #6
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    I don't know if they account for your past X years, or just since they started the new rules last year. Sounds like if you've done two years then you couldn't even get another 6 months. And yes that's my choices too after my final 6 months - another language (if you can somehow explain the need I guess), or a different visa.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I don't know if they account for your past X years, or just since they started the new rules last year. Sounds like if you've done two years then you couldn't even get another 6 months. And yes that's my choices too after my final 6 months - another language (if you can somehow explain the need I guess), or a different visa.
    Thanks for the info NH. I guess the other point is.........who know's when the current rules will change again?!? so no point in planning too far in front anyway!!

  8. #8
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    Thanks for the info NH. I guess the other point is.........who know's when the current rules will change again?!? so no point in planning too far in front anyway!!
    Definitely, I'm hoping after my 6 months it has all changed, otherwise I could maybe get a double/triple entry from back in the UK and come back for another 9 months or so, and then see if things have changed again.

  9. #9
    Senior Member NeedHoliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,105
    Just had my 'after 6 months' test (to allow me to apply for next period of study/visa) at Ministry of Education in Phuket.

    Harder than I thought, especially as it is all read/write Thai and we've only been doing that for about 3 months, but the lady supervising everyone was really helpful and explained words or helped point out wrong letter choice etc.

    I don't think anyone could really fail, unless you literally skipped most classes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •