Thread: Beijing 7 hour layover

Beijing 7 hour layover

I've read a few TA posts about people going into Beijing during a layover even shorter than 7 hours.
    Even with cautious time set aside to check-in again and go through customs and security I'd have a good 6 1/2 to 7 hours to spend

Anyone ever do this, by chance?
    Or just general comments on the Immigration process in Beijing? Most posts seemed to think customs was pretty easy

Thanks

Beijing 7 hour layover

Don't know what Bejing customs is like, but you'll need a visa to enter the country. The application process requires that you send your passport to the Chinese embassy in Texas. Takes about two weeks if you expedite.

I've been planning to visit China sometime as well. The visa is good for four months (?) once you get it.
    Last edited by BroTiger; 27th January 2015 at 06:29.

I have done long layovers in Beijing twice. The first time they actually made me leave the terminal area and gave me a temporary day pass even though I did not have a Chinese Visa at the time. I didn't really plan on going anywhere so I just hung around the airport waiting to be able to go back into the terminal area for my connection.

The second time was more recently on the way back from Thailand with my wife and kid. This time we also had something like 8 hours and it seemed we didn't really have the option of leaving the terminal area. (although we probably did) Again we did not really have any plan to leave anyway. I had a Chinese visa in my passport at the time. I don't know what the visa situation is for Thais in China.

I would say if you have the opportunity to leave the airport I would do it. The airport is terrible. Huge with only a couple of equally bad food options. It was also freezing cold. Almost everyone was wearing a jacket inside. We came from Thailand in jeans and T-shirts. It was pretty hellish. I almost shelled out $300 for 8 hours in their in airport hotel, but we persevered.